Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 02:25 AM

Default some comments on Inside The NFL

OK this was probably discussed a bajillion times back during the scandal but I don't know I wasn't following SE then.

Tonight they discussed during the 'King's Corner' segment the fact the SpyGate scandal never blew up. What is up with that? The tapes Goodell reviewed never got reviewed by anybody else (including the competition committee) and subsequently were destroyed. Goodell has not spoken to any team or NFL comittee about exactly what was in the evidence.

Are we to believe this whole incident was somehow isolated to a few games or a few teams the Patriots played? Every NFL quarterback and many insiders I have heard weigh in on the issue say knowing defensive signals is a huge advantage. The only ones who disagree are Patriots fans and columnists sympathetic to the Patriots (eg Bill Simmons).

Everyone makes the biggest deal about Brady making a lot out of no receiving talent during the Patriots 'magical' run. Isn't the answer to this magic obvious in light of recent events?

I'm a born cynic and this whole thing stinks of an NFL coverup and frankly it makes me pretty angry.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:09 AM

Default Re: some comments on Inside The NFL

I definitely think its ridiculous the way the NFL handled this. They said they demanded and received all relevant materials from the Patriots. Fine, then come out and say how long this has been going on. Did they get 5 games worth of tape or 5 years? If its worth taking a draft pick then its worth saying publicly how long its been going on.

p.s. you suck at thread titles
Old 10-11-2007, 03:11 AM

This has been argued to death, but the no suspension definitely raises some questions considering your average player/coach would probably get a game for popping 4 advil. But they dont want the integrity of their sport questioned like the NBA and you cant blame them.

Hope that made sense im pretty drunk right now.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:15 AM

More point scoring makes the games more entertaining to the average viewer. The NFL should want offenses to know defense's signals.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I definitely think its ridiculous the way the NFL handled this. They said they demanded and received all relevant materials from the Patriots. Fine, then come out and say how long this has been going on. Did they get 5 games worth of tape or 5 years? If its worth taking a draft pick then its worth saying publicly how long its been going on.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said. The lack of info coming out of this commish's office is scary. I get the feeling that NE did actually turn over all the tapes, and that there were quite a few of them.

The Pats didn't just start doing this, they were brazenly flaunting the fact that they were doing it, something that I would assume they'd developed over years of not getting caught. Those tapes may well have gone back quite a ways. I believe they Pats probably surrendered all their tapes for the same reason one might tell the cops they were speeding, expected leniency.

All told, if I were to guess what happend, I'd guess that the Pats had been doing this for a while (several years) and Goddell was afraid of potentail backlash and questions surrounding the Super Bowl wins. There was absolutely no reason to destroy the tapes, that's the key, so it hard to trust anything regarding the incident any more.

Cody
Old 10-11-2007, 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a born cynic and this whole thing stinks of an NFL coverup and frankly it makes me pretty angry.

[/ QUOTE ]

welcome to just about every major sport
Old 10-11-2007, 04:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
p.s. you suck at thread titles

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah I know. I didn't want to go with something like the "have the Patriots been cheating for years?" title.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:39 AM

Let's get back to the title of this thread, since I was thinking of starting a thread with the same title.

I hadn't watched "Inside the NFL" since Len and Nick were the show. But my brother is a big NFL fan, and he's always raving about how good it is, so I started watching it this year. My thoughts:

--The parts where NFL Films has mics on coaches and players is the only part that's really worth watching.

--Costas and Collinsworth are very good at what they do. Marino and Carter are horrible, with a capital HORR. Dawson and Buonacotti proved that two guys is plenty to carry this show; let's cut Marino and Carter loose.

///

As for the SpyGate scandal, I still don't see what the big deal is (and I'm not just saying that because I'm a Pats fan).

If you want to call the Patriots a horrible, less-than-honorable organization because Rodney Harrison cheats, or because they almost killed Ted Johnson, at least I'll concede that you're addressing important issues.

But I refuse to believe that looking at the other team's signals is an infraction anywhere NEAR the magnitude of criminality that the media are hyping it to be. This stuff is JAYWALKING compared to some of the stuff that's going on in sports.

This story's fifteen minutes is coming up on Hour Seventeen, and was just starting to fade when Peter King decided that he doesn't want to let it go. He brought it up again this week in his MMQB column, and on his segment on the HBO show.

King didn't report any new developments. He just said, "Where's the hype? Why did the hype stop? Can't we hype this some more? I don't get it."

I was hoping that the hype stopped because the public saw what a non-story this is. Obviously I was wrong, and the public will continue to swallow whatever the Hype Masters like Peter King will feed them.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:24 AM

Peter King is a bit of a muckraker
Old 10-11-2007, 07:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tonight they discussed during the 'King's Corner' segment the fact the SpyGate scandal never blew up. What is up with that?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, this story was never big. weird.

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

Everyone makes the biggest deal about Brady making a lot out of no receiving talent during the Patriots 'magical' run.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tom Brady stats are twice as good as they have have been, now that he is playing with good receivers. I assume every team has already changed their defensive signals, including the Jets in week 1.

so, taping stops, receivers get better, Brady's stats go way up, effect of previous cheating was what exactly?

the truth is that this stuff HAD been going on for years. the Patriots admitted it. but the truth is also that various other teams had been doing this or stealing signals in other ways for years as well - various other coaches and sources have confirmed this.

The Patriots took an unprecedented penalty for being caught, and it was for the good of the NFL that the story went away. the penalty they gave the Pats was enough to stop the rest of the teams from taping, and further scandal and bad press helps no one but the media sell papers/ratings.