Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Friday is Free-Thought Day! [crickets] er. Humanism stuff

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I see much of value in the perspective offered by humanism, but isn't it a contradiction for humanists to align their thoughts and beliefs into a codified system?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. The point of an organization is a compendium of thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was to acquire more power and eventually forget its charter.

[/ QUOTE ]

What happened? The boss pass you up on a raise today?

But, yes, that to, I guess.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:20 PM

Just seems organic to the nature of the beast. I wish I could work for a place whose charter was to give me raises!
Old 10-11-2007, 09:57 PM

Lorenzo Valla ftw!
Old 10-12-2007, 05:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Free Thought" Day, hmmmm.

Go find the chapter president's wife on Friday and give her a Frenchie in front of everyone, let's see if they really mean it....

Seriously, more info, this sounds like it could be very interesting.

I'm going to read up on humanism are report back I think. Apart from some aribtrary lip service it's given by atheists who don't want to look like heathens, I don't know much about it.

I do remember some stuff about Utilitarianism which I'm of the impression may be a branch of Humanism.

Back later!

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you are doing that reading, because this post is very..well...uninformed. Every part of it is wrong.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:03 AM

And because I think I might have come off sounding like a dbag, I will explain what is wrong with the post.

"Go find the chapter president's wife on Friday and give her a Frenchie in front of everyone, let's see if they really mean it...."

Being a humanist doesn't mean you let some stranger molest your wife.

"Apart from some aribtrary lip service it's given by atheists who don't want to look like heathens, I don't know much about it."

I really could not care less what the ignorant bloc of the body politic thinks of my beliefs.

"I do remember some stuff about Utilitarianism which I'm of the impression may be a branch of Humanism."

No it is not.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:32 AM

Well not so silly,
Humanism is not atheism. Atheism is a non-belief in a deity. Humanism is the belief in what may be scientifically supported/verified. The difference? Though atheists know there is no god, many may just as quickly believe in fairies,UFOs,Ghosts, Earth spirits...etc. The humanist affirms belief in these only as far as they may be found factual.
2nd the humanist attempts to live by an ethical code, though atheists may also do so,humanists use a specific code found on the aha website.
3rd - Primarily humanists have "faith" in the human potential and attribute both,responsibility and accolades to human kind (not a deity) for their behavior.
Finally- the article states that the day is not uniform in how it is accepted. I imagine Christmas was the same way in the early days of its incarnation. I suppose you may call celebrating and codes and such as dogmatic depending on how far you take the term. Is a code of ethics inherently dogmatic? Is the brotherhood found amongst policemen/firemen
dogmatic? With there celebrations and dances and such. Is it dogmatic to say the pledge to the flag each morning with or without the "under god" part? (shrug)
It seems to me that a real Free thought day should be instituted throughout the nation. It strikes me as uniquely American to celebrate those have gone against the current and changed the current in doing so.