Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2007, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Shoulders

I tried to do some overhead squats. Impossible.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
overhead squats baby

[/ QUOTE ]
Does anybody else think that guy has freeky arms? It's like they're too short or something.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:50 PM

Wolf,

Most WL/PL are oompa loompas in disguise.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:12 PM

Yeah overhead squats are awesome though. I am going to try to eventually be able to do them. My shoulders are not nearly flexible enough.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:57 PM

Dimas is like 5'8", and considering how close his hands are to the collars I'm going to guess his arms are normal length. He may have shorter arms, but that picture doesn't tell the story.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xVB_rQFSsEg
Old 10-17-2007, 01:27 PM

From my own experience as well as from some of the people that I've trained, one of the reasons for lagging shoulders is that they are not trained with enough intensity.

If the goal is to increase shoulder size, I recommend hitting them first in a workout when you are fresh. Start with heavy overhead BB presses. Do not do behind the neck presses. Bring the bar down to our upper chest and back up. Do 3 sets at 10,8,6 reps each to failure. By failure, I mean that you are using a weight that leads to muscle failure and the inablitly to push out one more rep.

Next, you want to do lateral raises. Use lighter weight and concentrate on the contraction at the top. Hold for a 2 count and slowly lower the dumbells to the starting position being sure to maintain constant tension. Do 3 sets and keep the reps relatively high. 12 to 15. After these sets, if done with the right amount of focus and intensity, you should be having a hard time lifiting your arms.

Next, since wider shoulders is usually the goal, you want to do 3 sets of upright rows. Again, since you have already done heavy low rep presses, keep the weight where you can get 8 to 12 reps before failure. Keep constant tension throughout.

The three muscles that make up your shoulders are relatively small so this is plenty of volume to get them growing.

Make sure you give yourself at least 3 days to recover, prefferably more, and do not train chest within two days of this routine.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From my own experience as well as from some of the people that I've trained, one of the reasons for lagging shoulders is that they are not trained with enough intensity.

If the goal is to increase shoulder size, I recommend hitting them first in a workout when you are fresh. Start with heavy overhead BB presses. Do not do behind the neck presses. Bring the bar down to our upper chest and back up. Do 3 sets at 10,8,6 reps each to failure. By failure, I mean that you are using a weight that leads to muscle failure and the inablitly to push out one more rep.

Next, you want to do lateral raises. Use lighter weight and concentrate on the contraction at the top. Hold for a 2 count and slowly lower the dumbells to the starting position being sure to maintain constant tension. Do 3 sets and keep the reps relatively high. 12 to 15. After these sets, if done with the right amount of focus and intensity, you should be having a hard time lifiting your arms.

Next, since wider shoulders is usually the goal, you want to do 3 sets of upright rows. Again, since you have already done heavy low rep presses, keep the weight where you can get 8 to 12 reps before failure. Keep constant tension throughout.

The three muscles that make up your shoulders are relatively small so this is plenty of volume to get them growing.

Make sure you give yourself at least 3 days to recover, prefferably more, and do not train chest within two days of this routine.

[/ QUOTE ]

You put me on buck wild monkey tilt. If this is Smiley again, I'm going to stab him when I go up there.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You put me on buck wild monkey tilt. If this is Smiley again, I'm going to stab him when I go up there.

[/ QUOTE ]
huh? He's trolled us before?
Old 10-17-2007, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
huh? He's trolled us before?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, someone random posted something ridiculous. And I accused him of using a gimmick.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
bluef0x, upright rows will destroy your shoulders eventually. I used to do them too. Stop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you elaborate on this? Upright rows are probably my favorite exercise - I am able to do them wihtout any pain in the wrists or shoulders. My friends/workout partners won't do them because of these complaints.

Are upright rows bad for everyone or solely for people with shoulder impingements? I have been using this exercise pretty steadily for the past 10 years or so (I'm 26 fwiw).

Is it just a matter of eventually wearing down the rotator cuffs and/or causing bone spurs? Thanks.