Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 01:48 PM

Default Re: Baited and switched during interview: WTF?

cbloom,

You are a pretty jaded dude about all of this. I'm not saying it's unwarranted, but I am saying it's unproductive.

A lot of chop shop recruiting firms hire people for near-minimum wage and "hope" they work out. As you might suspect, the failure rate is incredibly high, probably >95%, since there are very few barriers to someone getting hired in that position, but very real barriers to them succeeding. The house takes a large chunk of their commission, and if they don't work out there is always someone else to fill that seat.

However, there is another side of the equation which keeps recruiters in check: hiring managers count on recruiters to identify QUALIFIED people. If they're repeatedly missing the mark and presenting them over/underqualified talent then the relationship will sour and they will be effectively fired. If a candidate of mine gets turned away, my standard response is "thanks, can you tell me why he/she wasn't a fit so we don't make that mistake in the future?" Wasting a client's time = wasting our time.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

BTW if you want to hear a [censored] thing to do - I know people who were hired, quit their old jobs, made relocation arrangements, and then told the position was no longer available. There's also the semi-standard practice of waiting for someone's first day on the job and then telling them that the spot they were expecting is no longer needed and they can do this other job instead. There are different levels of sin in business, at least you were told at a time when you could get out early.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?
I would think this would get expensive. All those pesky lawsuits.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

BTW if you want to hear a [censored] thing to do - I know people who were hired, quit their old jobs, made relocation arrangements, and then told the position was no longer available. There's also the semi-standard practice of waiting for someone's first day on the job and then telling them that the spot they were expecting is no longer needed and they can do this other job instead. There are different levels of sin in business, at least you were told at a time when you could get out early.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure this is grounds for a lawsuit but I'd be curious to hear from someone that is familiar with employment law.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure this is grounds for a lawsuit but I'd be curious to hear from someone that is familiar with employment law.

[/ QUOTE ]
According to my B-Law 101, this is a pretty clear cut contract breach.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:14 PM

Do you have to have an actual contract for their to be a breach or can the contract be implied?
Old 10-08-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you have to have an actual contract for their to be a breach or can the contract be implied?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's been way too long but, as long as there was an agreement, and I have some way to prove it, I'm suing.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah as far as recruiters go, if you were in their position who would you have more loyalty to

Employee- Hunting around for a job, might only need your services once no matter how good you are, at most will use you every few years.

Employer- Might be hiring for dozens of positions in that time and the more quality people you get them, by whatever tactics, the happier they will be to listen to your input and meet your people in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've only dealt with recruiters for legal positions before, but I just met a recruiter for technical positions the other day. He said that one big problem he runs into is that the candidates he is handling think that he (the recruiter) is working for the candidate. The recruiter made it clear to me that he works for the employer and only has loyalty to the employer.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

contracts don't have to be written. They can offer you a job, you quit an existing one and move, show up and there's no job, then you can prove damages pretty easy, and breach of contract.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The recruiter made it clear to me that he works for the employer and only has loyalty to the employer.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a stupid mentality to have. You're working for both parties to determine whether or not it's a good fit for everyone. It's true that only one of the parties pays you, but both are equally important in the process and should be treated as such.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:39 PM

wow thats so ridiculous. hopefully walking out will make them reconsider the move they pulled