Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 09:41 PM

Default $555 QQ - take it to value town?

Villain is 10/4/0 over 100 hands, that's all I know.

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1490)
UTG+1 (t1560)
MP1 (t1470)
Hero (t1470)
MP3 (t1500)
CO (t1470)
Button (t1460)
SB (t1480)
BB (t1600)

Preflop: Hero is in MP2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, UTG+1 calls t20, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t90</font>, <font color="gray">MP3 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>, UTG+1 calls t70

Flop: (t210) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)
UTG+1 checks, <font color="red">Hero bets t150</font>, UTG+1 calls t150

Turn: (t510) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
UTG+1 checks, <font color="red">Hero bets t320</font>, UTG+1 calls t320

River: (t1150) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)
UTG+1 checks, Hero ?
Old 09-10-2007, 09:46 PM

Default Re: $555 QQ - take it to value town?

Based on this nit, smells like 55-TT. I'd check behind and expect to see a scared set. Timing on his calls could be important. I'm assuming some $555 guys still have timing tell leaks.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:37 PM

kinda a weird spot. i think you are beat a lot here but very surprised someone ahead of you would not bet the river. i don't think 99/TT call a river bet, so i just check behind.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:04 PM

I just check behind not have motive for value bet
Old 09-10-2007, 11:09 PM

I'd check behind.

If you value bet this (on the flush board), he's going to know you have a big hand. He could, of course, also be CRing a flush of his own.

Ryan
Old 09-10-2007, 11:13 PM

Really weird spot. I think you have the best pretty much always unless he has JJ. But I'm not sure how many worse hands call and you are too shallow to bet fold and he will think that heart could scare some of his worse hands away. I think I close my eyes shove and hope he is a retard.
Wow do people really thing this guy ever had a flush of 55/88/66 here? He could have a set if the board was drier, but I think he needs to c/r the flop or the turn here with them and he rarely limps suited hands and when he does he will rarely call preflop c/c flop and turn and check river.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:23 PM

Definitely check behind. Bet/folding here leaves us with nothing to play with. Shoving risks our stack too early after all five cards are out and how this has been played by the nit.

The potential reward is having a stack of a little under 3k if we shove. The reward of having the best hand after checking behind is having 2k+ at this early level with no added risk.

Only hand I'd raise pre that I'm going on this river with is 88/JJ/AhKh/AhQh.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:56 PM

If you value bet you will get called and win only a very small percentage of the time. VERY SMALL INDEED. Getting raised is a disaster. So value betting is bad

Pushing All-in will not get sets to fold when there is so much money in the pot. And, since value betting has next to no actual "value" if you are called, pushing all-in won't either. So a push looks bad too.

Checking looks best here for sure. if you check you might still win against something like AJ, A8, tens, nines or something like that.(Just cause he entered the pot from an early position doesn't mean he has a premium hand) You are most likely beat, but betting won't get your opponent to fold if you are.

Another reason to check is that you get to see what this guy limped with from early position. Usually, limping from and early position when the blinds are small is not a good play. If you check and he shows down AJ or a weaker starting hand I would make a note that this player is loose. (Just getting this kind of information from this opponent is very valuable.)
Old 09-11-2007, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you value bet you will get called and win only a very small percentage of the time. VERY SMALL INDEED. Getting raised is a disaster. So value betting is bad

Pushing All-in will not get sets to fold when there is so much money in the pot. And, since value betting has next to no actual "value" if you are called, pushing all-in won't either. So a push looks bad too.

Checking looks best here for sure. if you check you might still win against something like AJ, A8, tens, nines or something like that.(Just cause he entered the pot from an early position doesn't mean he has a premium hand) You are most likely beat, but betting won't get your opponent to fold if you are.

Another reason to check is that you get to see what this guy limped with from early position. Usually, limping from and early position when the blinds are small is not a good play. If you check and he shows down AJ or a weaker starting hand I would make a note that this player is loose. (Just getting this kind of information from this opponent is very valuable.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, it is a pretty std play in the early levels.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain is 10/4/0 over 100 hands, that's all I know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Btw is this at lvl 1, 7-9 handed, or something else? What are a 2p2 clone's stats at these? I filter on lvl. I would think something like 11/8 is your standard solid 2p2 nit. So to me 10/4 already says something aint right with this guy's game. I think 100 hands is enough to guess that anyway.