Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2007, 10:10 AM

Default Fertility Awareness?

I have hard time reading medical stuff without feeling queezy. I've been trying to get through this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fertility_awareness for a few days now. The goal is to avoid pregnancy.

This website http://www.beautyandlace.com.au/fertile.htm mentions:

"Now days, there are ovulation tests available which clearly determine when a woman’s fertile period is. These tests are based on measuring levels of LH (Luteinizing Hormone) in the woman’s blood. A surge of LH is a key indicator that ovulation is about to occur, usually within 12 – 48 hours. Once the surge is detected, intercourse over the next day or two has the most chance of resulting in conception.

"LH detecting kits have been available in the USA for some time, but are newer and generally more expensive in Australia. Simple, urine based LH tests can now be obtained in Australia."

Are these tests 100% effective?

Something else mentioned is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal_body_temperature

From which part of the body are you supposed to take the temperature every morning? Again, how effective?
Old 08-30-2007, 10:16 AM

Default Re: Fertility Awareness?

I doubt it matters from where you take the temperature, I think it's more about a temperature rise.

These methods are definitely not effective enough to have sex without protection of you really, really, don't want to get pregnant.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:01 AM

there is a week every month when sex is really safe and there is another week that is pretty safe.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have hard time reading medical stuff without feeling queezy. I've been trying to get through this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fertility_awareness for a few days now. The goal is to avoid pregnancy.

This website http://www.beautyandlace.com.au/fertile.htm mentions:

"Now days, there are ovulation tests available which clearly determine when a woman’s fertile period is. These tests are based on measuring levels of LH (Luteinizing Hormone) in the woman’s blood. A surge of LH is a key indicator that ovulation is about to occur, usually within 12 – 48 hours. Once the surge is detected, intercourse over the next day or two has the most chance of resulting in conception.

"LH detecting kits have been available in the USA for some time, but are newer and generally more expensive in Australia. Simple, urine based LH tests can now be obtained in Australia."

Something else mentioned is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal_body_temperature

From which part of the body are you supposed to take the temperature every morning? Again, how effective?

[/ QUOTE ]

This kind of stuff is pretty useful when you are TRYING to get pregnant. However, it is not something to rely on in order to AVOID getting pregnant. Also, if your partner is at all irregular much of this goes out-the-window.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:09 AM

http://www.marquette.edu/nursing/NFP/index.shtml

Also I know there is a "Creighton model" out there as well.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
there is a week every month when sex is really safe and there is another week that is pretty safe.

[/ QUOTE ]
More details please. As I understand it:

Woman gets her period every 28 days, and is fertile for 5-6 days during this 28 day period.

Sperm can live up to 5 days.

Ovulation occurs around day 14, but can occur earlier or later.

Some women have cycles longer than 28 days.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:37 AM

My wife, for religious reasons, does not believe in artificial birth control. Shes tried different methods of fertility awareness to avoid pregancy. To answer your question.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We have 7 kids.

Our lack of success has more to do with a lack of discipline on our part. If we are sure she is fertile we abstain. However if were not sure we have sometimes ended up rolling the bones(hence the 7 kids).

I think these methods could work if a couple is disciplined and only had unprotected sex when they were sure the woman isn't fertile. If she thinks she might be fertile, keep your pants on. No taking chances.

The latest device she is using actually shows a lot of promise. Its a salivia fertility monitor. Its a pretty cool device and extremely easy to use. Its basically a pocket microscope the size of a tube of lipstick. The woman puts some spit on the slide and lets it dry. Then look thru eyepiece. If you see "ferning" crystals shes fertile or soon will be. If you see random dots she's not fertile. You can get them at Walgreens.

Stu
Old 08-30-2007, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
More details please. As I understand it:

Woman gets her period every 28 days, and is fertile for 5-6 days during this 28 day period.

Sperm can live up to 5 days.

Ovulation occurs around day 14, but can occur earlier or later.

Some women have cycles longer than 28 days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where day 1 is defined as the first day of her period.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:50 PM

Are you asking this for purely academic reasons? Unless you're religious I don't see why you'd need to know this. If you wanna get a girl pregnant, have sex everyday. If you don't, use birth control.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you wanna get a girl pregnant, have sex everyday.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spoken like someone who has never actually tried this.