Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 03:15 PM

Default Outlook 2007 contacts / Word 2007 Spacing

If anyone could help me out it would be appreciated.

1) I use Outlook 2007 for my company on both my laptop and desktop. Overtime I've been adding contacts to both computers. I would like to ensure that both the pc and notebook have the complete list of contacts and contact info. I could go through and add each to the other one at a time manually but I'm sure there is an easier way.

Is there a function that will allow me to sync my contacts between the two computers?

2) I think Word 2007 operates differently in how it handles spacing. Everytime I hit the enter key it reacts as though it is a new paragraph and double spaces. I've figured out how to change this on a document to document basis (Line Spacing > Remove Space After Paragraph) but I would like to set this as the permanent default but do not see an option for this. I've read a little online and they talk about having to edit the normal.dotm file however I cannot even find the file (I'm using XP if that matters). It doesn't seem complicated but I can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Outlook 2007 contacts / Word 2007 Spacing

re: #2<ul type="square">[*]Right click on the Normal style on the Home tab of the Ribbon and choose "Modify..."[*]Expand the "Format" button and select "Paragraph..."[*]Under "Spacing", change the value for "After:" to be "0 pt"[*]Click "OK"[*]Select the "New documents based on this template" radio button[*]Click "OK"[/list]They will still be paragraphs but w/o the "extra" line spacing between them. If you really don't want paragraphs in the first place, then you should be using "Shift+Enter" instead of "Enter".
Old 08-14-2007, 03:59 PM

Best bet for #2 is to not use word as your email editor. Talk about a bloated email app....

If you must use word, pressing enter generates a HTML &lt;P&gt; tag which generates white space. I haven't checked it, but I suspect the fix above would just put a bunch of un-needed CSS in there to override the default behavior. Try Shift-Enter (this generates the HTML &lt;BR&gt; tag -- no whitespace)
Old 08-14-2007, 04:24 PM

TLC - worked like a charm, thanks.

Meech - Unfortunately due to a combination of compatibility and priorities I won't be moving away from Word / Office anytime soon so I'm stuck with what I have for now.

Any thoughts on syncing the contacts from Outlook between the laptop and desktop?
Old 08-14-2007, 04:45 PM

I didn't mean move away from Office, nor Outlook.

Outlook defaults to using Word as the email editor when Outlook itself is a perfectly fine email editor. Same task -- less bloat. Goto Tools / Options / Mail Format and uncheck the "Use Microsoft Office Word to edit email messages".

Microsoft Word is an absolutely horrible HTML editor. Being a tech guy, I just plain cant stand using Word as my email editor.

With regards to sync -- Not sure. We use Exchange so everything is auto-magically synced.

Try here, this is a pretty good site for all things outlook/exchange...

http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.asp
Old 08-14-2007, 04:49 PM

re: #1
I've never had to do this because I have an Exchange server which centrally stores them; but, something like the following should work for you.

In Outlook on your Desktop...<ul type="square">[*]"File - Import and Export"[*]"Export to a file"[*]"Personal Folder File (.pst)"[*]Select your "Contacts" folder (click "Include subfolders" if you have them)[*]name the file something like "ContactsFromDesktop.pst"[*]Click "Finish"[/list]Now, on your laptop...<ul type="square">[*]Copy the file (ContactsFromDesktop.pst) from your Desktop to your laptop (using a LAN, CD, floppy, USB drive, etc.)[*]"File - Import and Export..."[*]"Import from another program or file"[*]"Personal Folder File (.pst)"[*]Browse to the file you copied over[*]Select "Do not import duplicates"[*]Select the "Contacts" folder[/list]That should copy all the non-duplicates from your Desktop to your Laptop. You'll need to perform the same steps for Laptop -&gt; Desktop.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Goto Tools / Options / Mail Format and uncheck the "Use Microsoft Office Word to edit email messages".

[/ QUOTE ]
In Outlook 2007?
Old 08-14-2007, 05:22 PM

Should be a tools / options somewhere in that new funky toolbar ribbon whatever-the-heck-its called.

Although it seems that the word integration is a little deeper in '07. Too bad.

http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2007/...ng-in-outlook/
Old 08-14-2007, 05:27 PM

Looks like I might be wrong dumping word in outlook '07. Yet another reason not to upgrade.

[ QUOTE ]
From everything I can find, Word is now the ONLY e-mail editor you can use and there is no way to turn it off and go back to the IE rendering engine.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://technologyinside.com/2007/01/...-2007-is-word/

Ugh. Sticking with Office 2000 or 2003 here.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:48 PM

Outlook defaults to using Word as the email editor

I didn't realize this. I always assumed that the email I was composing using Outlook was being composed in Outlook.

Interesting.