Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 02:55 PM

Default 50NL AQ on a suited board

First villain in this hand was a 45/5/1 calling station. Second villain I didn't have stats on but he was extremely passive. In a previous hand he called a raise preflop then a reraise from me with KK (I had AA), then ckeck-called/check-called all in on a board of low cards.

In this hand I put villain A on the flush draw and have no clue what villain B could have. What to do on the turn??

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP1 ($50)
MP2 ($55)
MP3 ($7.35)
Hero ($81.20)
Button ($29.55)
SB ($88.60)
BB ($50.55)
UTG ($10.25)
UTG+1 ($38.75)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.50, MP1 calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls $2.50, MP1 calls $2.50.

Flop: ($9.75) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, UTG+1 calls $8, MP1 calls $6.

Turn: ($33.75) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, Hero ???
Old 08-14-2007, 03:28 PM

Default Re: 50NL AQ on a suited board

Check behind.

Fold if a spade hits the river and somebody bets. Call a reasonable bet on the river from in front of you otherwise. Check behind on the river if its checked to you.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:29 PM

I would check and call a reasonable bet on a non spade river. You run the risk of letting the flush get there for free, but if they both have a big spad which is very possible, it is only going to hit 18% of the time. It is also possible that you are drawing dead. Any reasonable bet is going to commit us to the pot and I don't think we want that.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:30 PM

i check
Old 08-14-2007, 03:32 PM

The super passive villains bets a monochrome flop, what is the worst hand he is likely to have? I don't think you have good equity against his range.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The super passive villains bets a monochrome flop, what is the worst hand he is likely to have? I don't think you have good equity against his range.

[/ QUOTE ]

He bet $2 into a $10 pot. It looks like a blocking bet to try to get a relatively cheap turn card and keep others in the pot, and block us from making a bet large enough that they would rather not call without another caller.

It looks like a flush draw to me. I would think that a set would generally bet out more on the flop or shove after our raise.

Our raise on the flop isn't that bad as it is very likely we have the best hand still and we want to tax draws, and we aren't committed to the hand. Any other bet will commit us.

I would say they either have a flush or a flush draw more often than not here and I would check the turn and call a reasonable (1/2 pot) bet on the river.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:57 PM

should hero have raised more on the flop? to something like 11 instead of 8?
Old 08-14-2007, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
should hero have raised more on the flop? to something like 11 instead of 8?

[/ QUOTE ]

We are in a pretty sticky spot when we only raised to $8 I think are in an even stickier spot if we had raised to $11 and got called in both spots.

If we raise to $11 I think that Villian's are more likely to smooth call with a made flush than they would be with the slightly smaller raise. So all in all against standard villian's I think the smaller raise is more likely to give us useable information.

Our raise on the flop serves 2 purposes, we are trying to gain information about our opponents hand as well as tax flush draws. We have represented a big hand preflop so I see no reason not to follow it up on the turn. We could easily have AK with a spade or KK with a spade if our opponent only holds the naked A. They have to be somewhat mindful that we have a better hand or a redraw unless they hold the made nut flush, and even then we could have a set drawing to fill up.

Also if we call the flop bet, we will likely be forced to call a bet on the turn which is likely to be much larger than the $8 we raised on the flop. Our raise may also fold out smaller flush draws (which is not a terrible thing)
Old 08-14-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He bet $2 into a $10 pot. It looks like a blocking bet to try to get a relatively cheap turn card and keep others in the pot, and block us from making a bet large enough that they would rather not call without another caller.

It looks like a flush draw to me. I would think that a set would generally bet out more on the flop or shove after our raise.

Our raise on the flop isn't that bad as it is very likely we have the best hand still and we want to tax draws, and we aren't committed to the hand. Any other bet will commit us.

I would say they either have a flush or a flush draw more often than not here and I would check the turn and call a reasonable (1/2 pot) bet on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is left open to interpretation but I don't think this villain sounds like the type to be clever enough to value bet with a flush draw.