Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2007, 12:16 PM

Default Legality of hosting a homegame online

Hello All,

I am interested in whether or not it is illegal to host a pokergame online if no rake is taken.

I have a few friends who are interested from my home game in participating on a regular basis. However, we all have moved recently to different localities and driving to a game no longer makes sense for a lot of the people who used to play (one hour or more drives each way and late at night midweek suck).

If I were to design a good poker client, allow people to fund it using credit cards or bank transaction to a real bank account, and play with no rake, would this be considered illegal?

Some ramifications I can see right off the bat...
1) Poker client software would be tedious and possibly prohibitively expensive to produce.
2) Bank transactions would have to be done via a service like paypal and transactions like this these days are not easy.
3) If players lived in certain states where home games are illegal (not sure if they are or what states they are). I am located in MD and most of my friends live in different parts of VA. I am relatively certain home games are not illegal in either of these states as long as no rake is taken.
4) Does doing this over the internet make a rakeless game illegal?
5) Does putting all the funds into a bank account where interest might accrue (although miniscule) make the game illegal since the house might "profit?"

Thanks,
+EV
Old 07-09-2007, 12:57 PM

Default Re: Legality of hosting a homegame online

Home games are illegal in Maryland whether rake is taken or not.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not realize that. We have always hosted our game in Virginia. So it would be illegal for me to play if I stayed in Maryland.

Would it be illegal for my VA friends?

+EV
Old 07-09-2007, 01:09 PM

If you friends are trust worthy try something on Yahoo! or something and then pony up $ after
Old 07-09-2007, 01:10 PM

From a thread ANOTHER SKILL GAMING SITE:

There is an interesting standoff so to speak addressing this very issue, skill v chance in a town called Portsmouth, Va right now.

Va. has 2 laws, one concerning chance and one skill.

In Portsmouth they are running Texas Holdem Games under 'SKILL'.

The city attorney wants them shut down, the prosecuting attorney says no, they are skill.

They asked the CURRENT State Attorney General, he says it is a matter of Facts, not law and will not step in.

The former (no power now) State AG says chance (relied upon by the city attorney).

Other city Prosecuting Attorneys say chance....

Basically, the State AG is leaving it up to the locals to decide since the state legislature will not decide either.

The news paper stories are here:

http://content.hamptonroads.com/stor...&ran=47803 (March Of Dimes)

http://content.hamptonroads.com/stor...9&ran=8980

http://content.hamptonroads.com/stor...amp;ran=211875

We need more prosecutors like Portsmouth, Va has!

obg

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not realize that. We have always hosted our game in Virginia. So it would be illegal for me to play if I stayed in Maryland.

+EV

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-09-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From a thread ANOTHER SKILL GAMING SITE:

There is an interesting standoff so to speak addressing this very issue, skill v chance in a town called Portsmouth, Va right now.

Va. has 2 laws, one concerning chance and one skill.

In Portsmouth they are running Texas Holdem Games under 'SKILL'.

The city attorney wants them shut down, the prosecuting attorney says no, they are skill.

They asked the CURRENT State Attorney General, he says it is a matter of Facts, not law and will not step in.

The former (no power now) State AG says chance (relied upon by the city attorney).

Other city Prosecuting Attorneys say chance....

Basically, the State AG is leaving it up to the locals to decide since the state legislature will not decide either.

The news paper stories are here:

http://content.hamptonroads.com/stor...&ran=47803 (March Of Dimes)

http://content.hamptonroads.com/stor...9&ran=8980

http://content.hamptonroads.com/stor...amp;ran=211875

We need more prosecutors like Portsmouth, Va has!

obg

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

+EV

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is actually a very interesting story. My impression up to this point was that home poker games are legal in VA as long as no rake is taken and the host or home that sponsors the game makes no money off it.

So is it illegal to play in a home game in VA?

+EV
Old 07-09-2007, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you friends are trust worthy try something on Yahoo! or something and then pony up $ after

[/ QUOTE ]

Does Yahoo have a free poker client that you can play? I didn't realize that they did but that might be a viable option.

I am not sure if my friends are trustworthy, since this option would require a lot more effort than just splitting the pot up at the end of the night. Maybe they are trustworthy but lazy?

+EV
Old 07-09-2007, 01:44 PM

well, I would give no advice either way, as you can read (the portsmouth artcles) there is no clear cut yes / no.

obg
Old 07-09-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

well, I would give no advice either way, as you can read (the portsmouth artcles) there is no clear cut yes / no.

obg

[/ QUOTE ]

OK. Well lets assume that the home game were to be in any other state in the US where there is not directly a law making it illegal. Lets say NY for example. I am pretty sure that you can play poker in a home game with no rake in NY. So if we were all in NY would we be able to do this?

+EV
Old 07-09-2007, 02:41 PM

I am not certain what you are looking for, however, legalities need to be addressed in the state by someone from that state.

All we (I) can offer here is information, for legal advice, consult an attorney in NY for NY.

As to the Virginia info, well, that is contained in the newspaper accounts.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

obg

[/ QUOTE ]

OK. Well lets assume that the home game were to be in any other state in the US where there is not directly a law making it illegal. Lets say NY for example. I am pretty sure that you can play poker in a home game with no rake in NY. So if we were all in NY would we be able to do this?

+EV

[/ QUOTE ]