Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2007, 12:04 PM

Default Appropriate gift for a Baptism

I've been asked to be the Godfather to my best friend's most recent child and will be attending the baptism next weekend. Usually gifts for infants are fairly straightforward - an outfit, toy, etc...

However I think this type of event may call for something a little different. I'm not particularly religious nor is my friend - his wife a little more so but hardly fanatical. Neither of them attend church on a regular basis and I think the baptism is done more as a tradition as opposed to wholly religious event.

Excluding weddings I probably haven't been to church for a religious event since my own baptism so I feel a little out of my element in searching for a gift. The father and I have been tight since university (we're both 35 now) so I would like to purchase a gift that will have some significance.

Does anyone have any ideas or experiences to share that may be helpful?

EDIT: The child is a boy.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:05 PM

Default Re: Appropriate gift for a Baptism

A nice cross to hang on the wall would seem most appropriate.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:06 PM

I was just godfather to my niece two weeks ago sunday, my mom said its customary to get a necklace, but the godmother was already gettnig one, and a ring is what the godfather usually gets on the otherside of the family, so i got her a ring. Completely pointless, but whatev.

ps- obv do not mention you are not religious.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:18 PM

Ace - I'd like to skip the religious angle with the gift. Coming from me it wouldn't be sincere.

Guids - I had considered jewelry but wasn't sure with the child being a boy. My nephew received a necklace with a cross pendant for his baptism. He's 8 years old now and never wears it because as a boy he would destroy it when playing with his friends. His parents have it locked away somewhere. More of a keepsake than practical I guess.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:23 PM

Congrats. We just had our baby's baptism two weeks ago.

If your friend is anything like us, he already has far too many clothes. Instead, find out if he is setting up some kind of savings account, and give a gift to that. Savings bonds are old school, and not really great interest-wise, but a lot of old people go this route.

Similarly, you can gift a couple of shares of Disney or whatever stock, and get them framed. That is pretty nice, too.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Similarly, you can gift a couple of shares of Disney or whatever stock, and get them framed. That is pretty nice, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sam,

This is a very cool idea. I like it a lot. I think I'll find out if he has a savings account - knowing his father he probably does. If so I'll put some money into the account and get a couple of the Disney shares for his wall.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:30 PM

money

this also works for Communions, Weddings ,confirmations and any other assorted religious rights of passage you will not be attending

esp tru if Ital [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-06-2007, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sam,

This is a very cool idea. I like it a lot. I think I'll find out if he has a savings account - knowing his father he probably does. If so I'll put some money into the account and get a couple of the Disney shares for his wall.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, in my circumstance, a buddy got my kid some WWE shares (he knows I like wrestling), which happened right before the Chris Benoit thing, so at least we can use the certs in case we run out of diapers.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ace - I'd like to skip the religious angle with the gift. Coming from me it wouldn't be sincere.

Guids - I had considered jewelry but wasn't sure with the child being a boy. My nephew received a necklace with a cross pendant for his baptism. He's 8 years old now and never wears it because as a boy he would destroy it when playing with his friends. His parents have it locked away somewhere. More of a keepsake than practical I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you want to skip the religious angle because it would seem insincere you should defer the offer to be godfather.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if you want to skip the religious angle because it would seem insincere you should defer the offer to be godfather.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I'm honored to have been asked to be the godfather. Simply because I'm not the most religious individual does not mean that I don't respect the religious choices of the family. I understand the significance of the role and I'm quite proud of the fact I was considered.

Also insincere was probably not the best choice of word to describe why I would not want to buy a gift with a religious theme. Obviously anything I purchase for the child would come with some thought and consideration making it sincere. Maybe out of character for me would be a better reason... or not, whatever. You get the idea.