Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2007, 07:46 AM

Default Re: 5/10 Omaha TP+gutshot on flop vs probable AA

[ QUOTE ]
Standard play is going to be to raise as this thread illustrates. The reason is obviously it is a strong hand. In pot-limit we have to build those pots up with position.

On the other hand, just like in LHE where you might sometime just open and call a 3-bet instead of cap on the button with AQ+,88+, especially if you are a 35/25 LAG, because of the extra postflop action you can get from over-aggressive opponents, i believe there is a time and place for limp/calling on the button with strong hands and other strange plays for variation and feel and just to plain out mess with people. I am too tired to be eloquent but in the flow of a 3-handed game or a HU battle I just know these variations have value (limp/call button

However, they are variations from the norm for a reason--the norm is full of value and the variations serve to support that and tend to shania. I'm not sure I am seeing it here. You have described the opponents as solid/nitty/etc. I'd be more likely to do this versus an over-defender or thinking player who I have history with to break the pace and take him to value town light postflop or make a confusing looking fold. With these guys just jack it up.

Sure, this spot is fun because you can torture someone who appears to have aces. You could have done the same thing in a bigger pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

very good post ty.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:54 PM

Default Re: 5/10 Omaha TP+gutshot on flop vs probable AA

Maybe we could start a new thread but this did make me think about some of the strange, unusual and variant things I do in PLO to mess with people, build an image and provide value support to my standard play. Maybe it's because I'm not an exceptional hold em player but I've always felt much less constrained in PLO to add some strangeness to me tool box as long as the money isn't overly shallow.

Some examples are buying in short in a short-handed game full of jacked up players who don't know me and shoving lots of hands for a few rounds and then topping off and playing normal, straddling, etc. Hard to really discuss stuff like this on the internet without specific examples but it certainly is a part of this game that I enjoy. Limp/calling on the button 3-handed is a fun example of the off-the-wall stuff we can do under the right circumstances.