Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2007, 11:45 PM

Default 5/10 Omaha TP+gutshot on flop vs probable AA

First of all, I'm a bit of an omaha donkey but I don't play in tough games so I'm a winner. Here, however, my opponents seemed solid, nitty, and competent. I don't have the hh sorry. Its 3 handed, and I limp the button with Kh9hTh8s. the sb raises pot, bb calls, I call. What's the common opinion on limp calling preflop in omaha? I'm pretty sure sb has AAxx based on play so far. Anyway, the flop is 9s6d2c. sb fires pot (100 ish), bb folds. I make it 350 and plan to call a push. this could be really bad i dunno.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:50 PM

Default Re: 5/10 Omaha TP+gutshot on flop vs probable AA

What are the stack sizes? Assuming they are around $1000 I like it.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:51 PM

I wouldn't open limp the button with such a good hand. I think your flop play is good, I usually just call and scare him off on the turn though.

If you think he is nitty enough to not push without set/big draw then just fold if he 3 bets (assuming 100bb each), even for 650 more you can't call profitably.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:56 PM

stacks?

open raise preflop.

on flop, it depends on the player and your stack sizes, but i doubt he folds AA here. however, you're only a 47/53 dog to random aces, so if ever folds it or he has something like KQJT and folds it or QJT9 then it makes raising the flop even better.

if you're deeper or he isn't as aggressive on the turn and will c/f to scare cards, i'd prefer calling the flop then
Old 05-31-2007, 12:37 AM

stacks are around 1000.

has there been any theory type threads in here on preflop play? I don't really know a whole lot about correct preflop play in omaha.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:39 AM

Raise this hand preflop from the button

I think your range is too small to just think he can have AAxx here. Unless hes been very passive preflop, he can pot this up with alot more than AAxx imo.

I don't like raising here and stacking off honestly. If your planning on getting him to fold, I'd rather call flop and raise any turn 9 and lower. AAXX wont look to well on that board and will likely slow down unimproved.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:33 PM

I think the OP played it pretty well assuming the villan didn't flop a set. As to several people saying raise K1098 preflop, even in position I have to disagree. I don't play quite this high, but at 1/2 and 2/4 this is a limping hand for me.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:46 AM

Standard play is going to be to raise as this thread illustrates. The reason is obviously it is a strong hand. In pot-limit we have to build those pots up with position.

On the other hand, just like in LHE where you might sometime just open and call a 3-bet instead of cap on the button with AQ+,88+, especially if you are a 35/25 LAG, because of the extra postflop action you can get from over-aggressive opponents, i believe there is a time and place for limp/calling on the button with strong hands and other strange plays for variation and feel and just to plain out mess with people. I am too tired to be eloquent but in the flow of a 3-handed game or a HU battle I just know these variations have value (limp/call button

However, they are variations from the norm for a reason--the norm is full of value and the variations serve to support that and tend to shania. I'm not sure I am seeing it here. You have described the opponents as solid/nitty/etc. I'd be more likely to do this versus an over-defender or thinking player who I have history with to break the pace and take him to value town light postflop or make a confusing looking fold. With these guys just jack it up.

Sure, this spot is fun because you can torture someone who appears to have aces. You could have done the same thing in a bigger pot.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the OP played it pretty well assuming the villan didn't flop a set. As to several people saying raise K1098 preflop, even in position I have to disagree. I don't play quite this high, but at 1/2 and 2/4 this is a limping hand for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

3-handed OTB you should be almost raising in the dark in PLO. KT98 is huge
Old 06-01-2007, 05:49 AM

Unless you have a ton of HH, assuming he has AA here is very dangerous. After all its just one raise. Interestingly, he is now more likely to pass on the flop than he would have been if you had raised preflop, although I agree it is normally a raise pre on the button. In general though, if he's a normal internet player, he probably will not pass AA here anyway. So you're gonna find out why PLO is such high variance [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

gl

bdd