Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2007, 10:47 AM

Default Re: Let\'s Work On CrazyEyez\' Swing

Don't do that thing that long drive guys do after their follow through where they immediately straighten their arms and point the club forward. It makes you look like a huge tool to real golfers. Try holding your follow through for a bit.

As for constructive criticism, I agree with everybody saying you need to maintain flex in your right knee and restrict your hip turn. Also in the last iron shot your clubface looked extremely closed at the top of the swing. TBH from these swings it doesn't look like you come over the top too badly. You do a good job of keeping your right elbow close to your body and your tempo is nice. I think your torso and arms are doing pretty much what they should be doing, and that your inconsistency comes from problems with your lower body and hands (your grip looks a little strong). Also ball position could be another source of inconsistency. An inch too far forward or too far back could easily result in shots going left or right respectively.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:07 PM

JTrout - Thanks a lot. I will definitely focus on stablizing my lower half.

Doug - I've tried not to whip the club back forward, but I can't help it. I can't hold my finish. I do swing pretty hard.

Ball position - I do get tremendous variation in left/right with just a tiny change forward/back in ball position. This makes me think that my path is on the target line for a very short time. I envision my path must be like the pic on the left, when I want it to be more like the one on the right so I have a bigger margin for error:

I don't know, maybe it's not really like that or maybe I shouldn't think that way.

I played today and my drives went:
reasonably straight or slight draw/fade: 7
pulled big, no draw/fade: 2
start left, big hook: 1
start right, big slice: 4

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] consistency

Actually on paper that looks better than it was. The fades were all on dogleg lefts and the draws were all on dogleg rights so I was in a lot of trouble even when it was a nice looking shot.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
-I would start with reducing the hip turn, and keeping the right knee flexed in the backswing.
-Then I would get your takeaway knocked out (check golfdigest.com for some swing sequences, you will see some very similar things in the takeaway position where the club is horizontal to the ground.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I absolutely agree with these. OP, watch the swing again, and pause it at the top of your swing. You will notice that your right leg has straightened out to the point where your knee seems almost locked straight. You need to try to 'pivot' around that knee, but keeping it flexed throughout the backswing. This will immediately help get the club 'on plane' better, which leads to my observation:

The club head gets very 'laid off' as you make your backswing. Yes, the swing is very flat, but you have to understand what makes it so, and what to do to improve it. You are ahead of the game because the beginning of your takeaway is very good - you are getting the club started on the inside of the target line, which is what you want.

From that point, however, which is about the point at which the clubhead gets to the level of your hips, you need to get the clubhead going 'up' and around, not just around.

You can attempt to do this by cocking your wrists once you get that clubhead to your hips. Just feel that the clubhead, from that point starts going up and around your body until it gets to the top of the swing.

You may also want to try to shorten your swing a little. So many people fall in love with getting the golf club to 'parallel' at the top, but it isn't necessary. What is necessary is that your upper body and lower body are turning, and working together, back and through.

Man, I hate trying to explain what I see in a message board post. It almost always sounds like crap.

PM me if you have any questions.

-Jay
Old 05-28-2007, 05:52 PM

I forgot a drill you can do at home!!

Take a short to mid iron, and turn it upside down, holding it like you normally would, just above the clubhead instead of on the grip.

Set up with your butt facing a wall at home, or outside your home or apartment. The grip may leave a mark or something, so find someplace inconspicuous or easily cleanable.

You are going to make slow golf swings, and find that when you take the club back the way you normally do, the butt end of club will run in to the wall and not progress further. Once you start tracing that wall with the club, though, you will find a swing that will keep the clubhead on plane longer.

You want to make complete swings with this drill, and maintain contact with the wall with the butt end of the club until you get your hands down to about your hips. This should get you swing closer you want to 'the slot' which will help you make more repeatable and desireable golf swings.

- Jay
Old 05-28-2007, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Geez Limit....no need to shout.

OP is putting his swing on a poker forum and asking what we think. He doesn't want a lecture on camera angle. With that said, obviously a proper camera angle would be beneficial, but being the Class A that you are, you should be able to offer some input regarding his swing even if the angle is off.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG this is wrong. You're not listening. If you want to talk about swing plane it gets ridiculously skewed from these angles.

@OP- Your swing does not look flat, infact, I think you have a pretty decent move. Looks like you hit it a mile. Work on your short game and you'll see more results that working on your swing.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

OP is putting his swing on a poker forum and asking what we think. He doesn't want a lecture on camera angle. With that said, obviously a proper camera angle would be beneficial, but being the Class A that you are, you should be able to offer some input regarding his swing even if the angle is off.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG this is wrong. You're not listening. If you want to talk about swing plane it gets ridiculously skewed from these angles.

@OP- Your swing does not look flat, infact, I think you have a pretty decent move. Looks like you hit it a mile. Work on your short game and you'll see more results that working on your swing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was I talking about swing plane?
Old 05-29-2007, 12:23 AM

I feel sorry for you if you pay to hit balls off of that surface.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1. I still contend he's quite flat on the backswing. Whether or not it's as extreme as it appears from this angle is another question that nobody here has tried or cares to answer. The only thing that is important is what it leads to, which is my second point.

2. It's undeniable that his first move at the top is a swing plane shift (I'm freeze framing shot #3). I wish we could somehow get a program to chop this vid up frame by frame, but you'll notice that at the top his hands shift toward the right of the screen before the downswing begins. He then brings the club down on a much steeper plane than the backswing plane.

My point is that it would be better for OP to take the club back using his steep downswing plane then reroute inside on the way down with a flatter plane similar to his backswing plane (i.e. the Leadbetter-style two plane swing) to deliver an inside blow.

I could even concede my notion that his backswing plane is too flat and agree with you that he has a good move on the way back. Let's suppose he does for a moment. Then his downswing is certainly over the top by quite a bit. You don't need a perfect camera angle to see this.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel sorry for you if you pay to hit balls off of that surface.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol
That's an elementary school soccer field behind my house.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:38 AM

If you are like me, taking it back so flat leads to over the top and slices and pulls.

I concnetrate on taking the club straight back the first foot - maybe even put a 2nd ball behind gthe one you're hitting and knock the 2nd one stright back when you practice. I somehow drifted in to a flat backswing and this pretty much cured it.