Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 06:15 PM

Default 2p2er Viruses me, o noes now what?

Culprit is "TheAudition". I bought a database of Party hands and downloaded the backup file from a site he hosted it on. Norton or spysweeper didn't pick up anything and the database actually worked so I figured it was fine but probably shouldn't have done it and had a bad feeling.

Anyway I ran scans this afternoon and for the first time in ever I got a virus popup from Norton:

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...virusalert.jpg

I ran spysweeper and it found 2 spy cookies and I fixed those. I'm not sure how to get more info on this, where the files are, or what to do. Spysweeper just "quarantined a potential threat that was trying to install itself"

All I've done is downloaded a program called the cleaner thats supposed to fix trojans and am running a scan but dunno if that will help. I' also had a friend email the poker sites for me to freeze my accounts just to be safe.

anyone have any idea how to proceed from here?
Old 05-27-2007, 06:16 PM

Default Re: 2p2er Viruses me, o noes now what?

I also request that I am given all of the info of this poster so I can beat his ass for great justice one glorious day in the future.

also wtf why does Norton suck so much, it finds trojan Virus(es) but can't repair them?

edit- sorry if this is the wrong forum.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:21 PM

check for any abnormal .exe's. Is the link you dl'ed a .exe?

Basically what your worried about here is a keylogger and your pkr accts right?

If so turn off your pc, go onto a lap top, friends pc, anything and change all of your passwords to your pkr accts, email, etc. Then reformat your computer after saving what you need to a harddrive or w/e. Reformatting will make your PC exactly how it was out of the box.

Old 05-27-2007, 06:33 PM

jeff,

Old 05-27-2007, 06:40 PM

By a new HD and keep the old for evidence in case you need to press civil action against him.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

im gonna go on another computer and change the email pass immed. I guess I will have a professional look at the computer and reformat it asap, and should probably shut it down till then?

If so turn off your pc, go onto a lap top, friends pc, anything and change all of your passwords to your pkr accts, email, etc. Then reformat your computer after saving what you need to a harddrive or w/e. Reformatting will make your PC exactly how it was out of the box.

[/ QUOTE ]

* Re: 2p2er Viruses me, o noes now what?

Quote:

im gonna go on another computer and change the email pass immed. I guess I will have a professional look at the computer and reformat it asap, and should probably shut it down till then?

i had a friend email the poker sites to have them freeze the accounts and stars has called me so far on the phone to be safe, which is good

I can't imagine this not being from theaudition, since it seems to me that multiple spy cookies and spysweeper threats and viruses don't just randomly install themself and thats definitely the only download I've made....

the file was a backup file for pokertracker. I'm gonna go on another computer to change my email password and have a professional look at computer and reformat it asap- I guess I should shut it down till then>?
Old 05-27-2007, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By a new HD and keep the old for evidence in case you need to press civil action against him.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very amusing, the best post in OOT all weekend so far.

OP, why do you think the hand history DB gave you a virus? You said you scanned it before you used it.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no, all it was was a .backup file that i uploaded from my computer onto megaupload. i told him originally i was going to send it to him via an aim transfer but he told me he perfered that i upload it onto a website or email it. so i googled 'upload files' second link was megaupload and i used that since the first link froze on me 10% through. i don't know much about keyloggers n stuff but im 90% sure he didn't get it from that download since it was just a .backup
Old 05-27-2007, 07:04 PM

Jeff,

In my experience, like 75%+ of people that claim someone sent them a virus actually somehow got it through their own fault.

Maybe you should have posted about getting the virus and what to do in the tech forum. Then if you can isolate it to that file, then let the accusations fly.

You definitely did the right thing getting someone to e-mail all your poker sites. Everything else you should do has already been said.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:13 PM

do you buy all your databases from highschoolers?

things that make ya' go hmmmmm
Closed Thread