Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2007, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Are Extended Service Plans for Electronics Ever Worth It?

[ QUOTE ]
Is there at least a 17.5% chance that a new Zen Vision will break within 2 years?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had 2 break within 2 years, so I say yes although small sample size.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If this many of the Zens were breaking that quickly, you would definitely hear about it from any one of a number of consumer electronics review sites/magazines.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know CrazyEyze draws a lot of water around here, but this is the same as saying the post is a googletard, at least as bad as the one trapsetter just got banned for. Where is your NT now?
Old 05-25-2007, 03:50 PM

What is that supposed to mean? I'm not calling for CE to get a * or whatever. I'm just saying that getting the extended warranty is a bad idea.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I always thought no, but I hear a lot of people saying that their mp3 players break. I'm going to buy one soon and wondered if I should shell out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of the reviews at newegg.com on the HD-based ones make me think yes for those, but no for the flash-based ones.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:59 PM

I get pissed off just thinking about extended service plans.
I find the concept insulting as a consumer.
If you sell it, stand behind it.
How can any store justify selling a product, and then question the product's reliability?
IMO, that's what all the extended plans amount to.
If a store decides a product should have an extended warranty, then the store shouldn't carry the cheap piece of crap.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:59 PM

Well, now, wait a min. Shouldn't this thing be coming w/ a manufacturer's warranty, too? Apple's is one year, but I'm not sure about Creative. If it comes w/ a one year plan, too, that should be more than enough reason not to get this. If it's 30-90 days, you might have a case for a HD player if you like to throw it off of tall buildings or whatever.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:05 PM

For some people it is a practical consideration. Say you are getting a laptop for school and can afford the extra $150 for the insurance, but there is no way in hell you will ever be able to afford the $1500 if the thing completely breaks. Then maybe its worth it for you to take the -EV hit.

I agree with Blarg that it might be worth it for HD-based ones. What is the standard warranty, 6 months? one year?

Also, for laptops, make sure that the battery is covered by the warranty. Some laptop warranties don't even include the battery, while others include things beyond "normal degradation" of the battery. Similar to ipods, just send it in a week before the warranty is up, because the battery has usually lost some serious staying power.

PS- Especially when buying online, make sure you know who the warranty is through. Freshman yr. of college I bought a laptop from some website like newegg or tigerdirect. Something went wrong, I get out the warranty papers and my warranty is through "Mack's Camera Repair Shop" in NJ. WTF. I send them it, and apparently the battery broke and leaked acid all throughout the laptop. They said that this constituted liquid damage (like spilling coffee on it) and wouldn't fix it.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:07 PM

ESPs are literally the worst purchase you can make at an electronic store. Big electronics stores make their largest profit margin on those plans. Most electronics don't break. Of those that do break, the vast majority break within the manufacturers warranty, which is not covered by the ESP. Even if a product does break outside of the warranty period, the ESP often doesn't cover it. Please don't buy an ESP, especially on a $200 electronic device.

XOXO,

Claude
Old 05-25-2007, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If this many of the Zens were breaking that quickly, you would definitely hear about it from any one of a number of consumer electronics review sites/magazines.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know CrazyEyze draws a lot of water around here, but this is the same as saying the post is a googletard, at least as bad as the one trapsetter just got banned for. Where is your NT now?

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't figure out if I'm being insulted or complimented here.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:14 PM

They're never worth it in monetary terms, but I did get one for my plasma tv, it was only 5% of the price though.