Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2007, 04:35 AM

Default Re: Ramblings of a drunk (confederate soldier protesters included) tl;

Are there any "union" re-enactments and celebrations of heritage? I have to admit I've always been a little confused by this obsession with celebrating a war you lost.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If you get down Atlanta way on a Sunday afternoon this summer, be sure to check out Stone Mountain. Rednecks in jacked up pickups with gumbo mudders driving around flying the Stars and Bars.... whooping it up about their 'heritage'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stone Mountain is not Atlanta. Believe it or not, Atlanta is as diverse as any other city in the U.S. I guess it is easier to make broad and sensational generalizations than it is to paint an accurate picture though.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are there any "union" re-enactments and celebrations of heritage? I have to admit I've always been a little confused by this obsession with celebrating a war you lost.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 05-11-2007, 08:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If you get down Atlanta way on a Sunday afternoon this summer, be sure to check out Stone Mountain. Rednecks in jacked up pickups with gumbo mudders driving around flying the Stars and Bars.... whooping it up about their 'heritage'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stone Mountain is not Atlanta. Believe it or not, Atlanta is as diverse as any other city in the U.S. I guess it is easier to make broad and sensational generalizations than it is to paint an accurate picture though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I lived in Atlanta for 15 years. I don't need the cultural fabric of the city explained to me. For a city 'too busy to hate', it's amazing how racially tense Atlanta is; how often racial issues come to the fore in any news or political issue there. Political power is black, financial power is white. A volatile mix. Oh by the way, are Jews admitted to the Atlanta Country Club yet, or do they still just join the Standard Club?

If you read the post, I said 'Atlanta way'. Stone Mountain is a 15 minute drive from Atlanta.

Get a life, dbag.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I lived in Atlanta for 15 years. I don't need the cultural fabric of the city explained to me. For a city 'too busy to hate', it's amazing how racially tense Atlanta is; how often racial issues come to the fore in any news or political issue there. Political power is black, financial power is white. A volatile mix. Oh by the way, are Jews admitted to the Atlanta Country Club yet, or do they still just join the Standard Club?

If you read the post, I said 'Atlanta way'. Stone Mountain is a 15 minute drive from Atlanta.

Get a life, dbag.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, sure Atlanta is recially tense just like any other big city. But I've been to LA, Chicago, NY, DC and every one of them is a ton more segregated than Atlanta.

And it sounds like you're the dbag. He's right, all you're doing is making overgeneralizations.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a life, dbag.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, sure Atlanta is recially tense just like any other big city. But I've been to LA, Chicago, NY, DC and every one of them is a ton more segregated than Atlanta.

And it sounds like you're the dbag. He's right, all you're doing is making overgeneralizations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, OK. Atlanta proper is majority black. Except for what, Buckhead, VA Highlands? Midtown? Where the only black people are cleaning white people's houses. How many black folks you see living north of 285?

dbag out.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Um, OK. Atlanta proper is majority black. Except for what, Buckhead, VA Highlands? Midtown? Where the only black people are cleaning white people's houses. How many black folks you see living north of 285?

dbag out.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, are you kidding? Tons. I've grown up here and lived here for 25 years. I've lived or worked in almost every part of the city and surrounding suburbs.

black N of 285? ummm, they're everywhere.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

dbag out.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, are you kidding? Tons. I've grown up here and lived here for 25 years. I've lived or worked in almost every part of the city and surrounding suburbs.

black N of 285? ummm, they're everywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Link

THE BUILDING BLOCKS OF ATLANTA: RACIAL RESIDENTIAL SEGREGATION AND NEIGHBORHOOD INEQUITY by MELISSA M. HAYES Under the Direction of Robert Adelman ABSTRACT I conduct a case study of Atlanta's metropolitan core in order to provide a rich, detailed analysis of urban neighborhoods, and to document the persistence of racial inequalities. Using Census 2000 block group data, I examine racial residential segregation in the five core counties of Atlanta between whites and minority groups, as well as among minority groups. I find high levels of residential segregation between whites and blacks, as well as between blacks and Asians, and blacks and Hispanics; segregation is lower between whites and Asians, and whites and Hispanics. I also investigate neighborhood characteristics like percentage poverty and educational attainment in neighborhoods with different racial compositions. These results highlight the advantages found in predominately white neighborhoods compared to racially concentrated minority neighborhoods, particularly African American and Latino neighborhoods. Overall, this thesis shows that residential stratification remains a hallmark indicator of racial inequality through the opening of the twenty-first century in Atlanta.

[censored] please.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Um, OK. Atlanta proper is majority black. Except for what, Buckhead, VA Highlands? Midtown? Where the only black people are cleaning white people's houses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you [censored] kidding me? the only people who clean white people's houses in atlanta are mexican.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Um, OK. Atlanta proper is majority black. Except for what, Buckhead, VA Highlands? Midtown? Where the only black people are cleaning white people's houses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you [censored] kidding me? the only people who clean white people's houses in atlanta are mexican.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been gone a few years. I guess all those old black ladies retired [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]