Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2007, 08:01 PM

Default ideal preflop ratio of value:air for reraising

I'm really curious as to what you guys think a good preflop ratio would be in terms of reraising someone preflop. Assume that our image is TAG and we are in position versus someone who is a decent thinking LAG that is actually able to fold a hand preflop to a reraise (something somewhat uncommon at 3/5 commerce games.

What do you like as a ratio of hands that we are reraising for value (say aa-jj,ak) versus hands that we'd normally fold but that we choose to reraise with since they are the best of our usually fold hands (j8s, a4s) etc.

I'm looking to expand my nit game as I move into higher games and I think opening up with 3-bet pots is something that will really help me. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:08 PM

Default Re: ideal preflop ratio of value:air for reraising

I'm also curious as to how you guys randomize your preflop play. Do you use the second hand on your watch, select a certain suit/certain specific hands to be more aggressive with, or do you simply base it all on prior history and reads (playing solid after showing a bluff, making moves only on out of line LAGs, etc)?

I've toyed with the idea of using the sklansky UR and UC formulas to change my action with black pocket pairs for example. So if I were playing a 2/5 at the bellagio I'd typically raise with my aces utg but I'd limp if they were black. I'd likewise open for a raise with red 77.

Expanding even further on this, you could delve into randomizing your raise size to achieve an "ideal" average whereby you want to raise more on average with pocket pairs and less with speculative hands like AK so you vary your raise size according to what suits you get so that your raising range for aces would be limp, then 3x-6x + 1bb per limper) but would be more heavily weighted toward the 6x part of your range. AK would likewise have the same range, but more combinations would be near the 3xbb range. This would make it impossible for your opponents to say, oh he opened for 5xbb, he cant have AK, it has to be a pocket pair of some sort.

I know that none of this is new or maybe even interesting but I'm interested to see how important you guys think this is to a well balanced strategy and how you implement it, if at all.

Best,
Matt
Old 04-30-2007, 08:18 PM

if they are opening a wide range and folding the majority of those hands to a rr, it makes sense to obviously 3bet a large range of hands - most of which are "air" by definition.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:43 PM

1:2 is the golden ratio.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:55 PM

1:1.61803 obviously.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:07 PM

haha lovin the pic jay, his head looks like a [censored] orange!

op, since when do lag's fold most of their raises to 3-bets? i have enough trouble trying to get tags to fold, nevermind lags! if what you say is true though, you should be 3-betting a wide range until he adjusts.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:07 AM

I suppose a better way to have worded this question is if you guys think there is any value in reraising light at the typical 2/5 live game say at commerce or the bellagio. I feel like I see all sorts of examples of such light 3-betting in online hands but it is so exceedingly rare in live play. Perhaps some live players could chime in on how they approach 3betting live, because at the 200nl commerce games I honestly don't 3-bet less than qq+ and ak with some exceptions because most players simply play so passively that when they raise its a strong hand.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:44 AM

I would say yes
Old 05-01-2007, 06:50 AM

treat others the way you want to be treated.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
treat others the way you want to be treated.

[/ QUOTE ]

this sounds so stupid but in practice it seems to actually be true in live games.