Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2007, 03:57 PM

Default Implied odds when an Ace completes your straight

I used to count my implied odds as a little better when an ace completed the straight, thinking that it could make aces for an oppoenent who may now be more likely to call or raise. It was suggested to me that the opposite was true. The ace that makes the straight is more likely to scare away opponents who have paired and are now afraid of the ace.

Is there any correct logic either way and should implied odds be factored any differently when an ace completes your straight?
Old 03-29-2007, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Implied odds when an Ace completes your straight

Tricky question. Basically what you're asking is you had something like QJ, on a KT2 flop, which is a better card for you the 9 or the ace? Or you could have 34 on a 52T flop, which is better the 6 or the ace? In the first case I would take the ace by far. When people make 2 pair with AK they rarely fold, and a lot of donkeys will pay you off with AT, AQ, AJ and worse. In the second case I like the 6 better since the flop looks so harmless for an overpair or ten with a good kicker. The ace would just ruin your odds vs those types of hands.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:43 PM

How obvious would the straight be if the ace comes? If the final board is Q53JA, it's probably pretty unlikely you'll be up against KT. On the other hand, there's a lot more reason to worry if there's four to a striaght, such as with a QJT4A board.

[ QUOTE ]
The ace that makes the straight is more likely to scare away opponents who have paired and are now afraid of the ace.

[/ QUOTE ]
This more depends on the style and skill level of your opposition. In general, only poorer players will give you the correct implied odds when you have a weak draw, because you won't get enough money out of the good ones when you hit. Most decent players are aware of how vulnerable a hand like JJ is on a TJQK board.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How obvious would the straight be if the ace comes? If the final board is Q53JA, it's probably pretty unlikely you'll be up against KT. On the other hand, there's a lot more reason to worry if there's four to a striaght, such as with a QJT4A board.

[ QUOTE ]
The ace that makes the straight is more likely to scare away opponents who have paired and are now afraid of the ace.

[/ QUOTE ]
This more depends on the style and skill level of your opposition. In general, only poorer players will give you the correct implied odds when you have a weak draw. Most decent players are aware of how vulnerable a hand like JJ is on a TJQK board.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I guess I should have mentioned that I'm mainly talking about limit holdem.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:00 AM

In low stakes FL HE, many players are oblivious to board, on other hand, how likely is that that the A, completes a big hand they want to cap betting with on the river?

So you have many 'Any Ace' opponents, who probably call way too far, hoping to spike one, and perhaps make a raggy 2 pair.

OTOH, you have some who will fold, deciding their top pair is no good now, and also there's str8-ning cards on board.

Don't you have to look at how your opponents play, rather than get a general answer on a forum?