Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness

Old 03-23-2007, 05:41 PM

Default Re: cbloom\'s log - Rippetoe & Frozen Shoulder

[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't Rippetoe say to drop 15 lbs when you fail to finish a set?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that I know of. I think that's what you're supposed to do when you plateau and can't increase the weight - you drop way down and then start the steady progression back up again. This is the section on stalling :

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...p;postcount=23
Bodybuilding.com Forums - View Single Post - Guide to Novice Barbell Training, aka the Official Rippetoe-Starting Strength FAQ

Here's a quote from the FAQ :

[ QUOTE ]

3) If you get the first 2 sets of 5 with proper technique, but you only get 4 reps on the 3rd, then determine if it was a "recovery deficit" (4 hours sleep last night/skipped meals, etc) or a "technique deficit" (body wasn't tight during presses, leaned forward too much in squat, etc). If the strength or technique deficit was an anomaly and/or is easily correctable, then you can probably add the normal amount of weight as described above. If the weight just felt dog heavy, then add only a bit more, or even keep the weight the same for the next workout. Better to get your 5/5/5 next workout then get a 5/5/3 or a 5/4/4 with a heavier weight.

4) If you get at least 12 or 13 of the reps total (i.e. 5/4/4 or 5/4/3 or 4/4/4) then keep the weight the same for the next workout.

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing that might be the problem is I should rest even longer between sets to make sure I'm fully recovered.

So from the FAQ it sounds like I should probably keep the weight the same and make sure I get a clean 3x5 next time. I think with the squat what I'll do is go up by 2.5 instead of the normal 5 on each side.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:45 PM

cbloom,

When you fail to complete a full 3x5, there's a bit of decision-making required as to whether you should reset the weights (drop weights by 10-35 lbs.), use the same weight, or just keep pushing forward. Thankfully, kethnaab on the bb.com forums addressed this in great detail here.

Basically: If you drop the last rep of your third set, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you end up doing 5/4/4 with some struggling, I'd keep the weight the same or do a tiny weight jump. If it doesn't get better in the next few workouts or even gets worse, your muscles need a bit of a break so go ahead and reset. If you put up a stinker like 5/3/3, you'll have to make a decision whether it was just a bad workout (poor pre-workout nutrition, hung over, not focused) or whether you're in over your head. If it might be an aberration, try again next workout. If it still feels like [censored] on the next workout, drop the weight down.

Edit: Also, if I drop a rep or two on a set, I'll take an extra long time before I hit the next set -- somewhere between 3-4 minutes.

Brag - set a PR by squatting 215 yesterday.
Beat - It was 5/4/4 and I ended up having to drop the bar on the second set and crawl out from the power rack.
Variance - Indian guys next to me using the Smith machine to do 1/8 squats with 3 plates. Roar.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't Rippetoe say to drop 15 lbs when you fail to finish a set?

[/ QUOTE ]
No. He got stuck, so he should keep the weight the same and bang out 3x5 next time.

Do not increase the weight, and consider getting some microplates.

EDIT: didn't see skunks post, his advice is more detailed.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:10 PM

Decided to keep the weight the same for the hacks and make sure I do a full clean 3x5 , it felt pretty easy.

Rippetoe A today
hack squat 75
bench 50
dead lift 85

I made sure to get a full 3 minute rest between sets today and it made everything feel a lot easier. I'm gonna start taking a minute timer to the gym.

That's the most I've ever dead lifted (85x2+bar = 215); it totally kicked my ass, I felt faint after, it was cool. I'm sure I could've done more back when I was in shape but I never tried to do heavy deadlifts before.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
charlie, check out this video i posted in another thread. this is the only way ive been able to instantly teach proper squat form.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...81301858251744
i'm inflexible as [censored] and can still squat ATF.

[/ QUOTE ]

I finally watched this whole thing. Excellent video for people wanting to learn squat technique. You only need to watch the first 25 minutes or so, he goes into a bunch of olympic lift stuff after that.

Lots of good stuff at Dan's site too:

http://www.danjohn.org/gramp.html
The Coach - Dan John - Lifiting and Throwing
Old 03-27-2007, 04:10 PM

Rippetoe B :
Hack Squat 80 (x2+bar)
Pendlay Row 35 (x2+bar)
Shrugs + Curls + I don't know WTF to do instead of militaries

My hacks failed on grip so I finished up the hack sets with a mixed grip, which is sort of cheating I guess. To compensate I did grip bombing at the end since I can't do the militaries anyway.

The steady progress on this program is so awesome, I'm loving it.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:13 PM

Rippetoe A today
hack squat 82.5 (x2+bar)
bench 52.5 (x2+bar)
dead lift 90 (x2+bar)

I scraped the crap out of my legs and ankles dead lifting today by running the rough bar along my legs on the way up & down. Guess I'm gonna have to wear jeans to dead lift !? Meh

People in the gym keep asking me about the hacks cuz they've never seen anyone else do 'em.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:09 PM

hack squat is a mchine right?
Old 03-30-2007, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hack squat is a mchine right?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, see earlier in thread.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:57 PM

Rippetoe B :
Hack Squat 85 (x2+bar)
Pendlay Row 37.5 (x2+bar)
Shrugs + Curls + I don't know WTF to do instead of militaries

Random dude came up to me in the gym today to tell me about George Hackenshmidt, inventor of the hack squat. Sorry random dude, you seem nice and all, but I'm not gay.