Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2007, 04:13 PM

Default AKo on the button

FTP .25-.50NL, 6 handed.
BB has seemed agressive, but I have no reason to think he bluffs especially often.

I'm on the button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I have $55, and BB covers. All fold to me, I raise pot to 1.75, and BB reraises to 5.5. I reraise to 18, and BB thinks for a bit and calls.

Thoughts on the reraise to 18? I put him on a resteal, but when he calls, I assume he has a pair < JJ or possibly just two high cards.

Flop comes J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I have the A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. BB checks.
Whats my play? The pot is now $36, so I feel like any reasonable bet will commit me, but checking seems very weak.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:59 PM

Default Re: AKo on the button

First, would he call a 4-bet if he is on a re-steal? This really depends on your reads. I think at least equal probability should be given to him having a very strong hand (JJ,QQ,KK,AA,AK). Either way it is not at all unlikely that he has a made hand, be it weak (mid PP, AJ) or strong.

Now think about his side for a moment. If he is observant and you haven't gotten out of line much he will now know you have AA, or AK as you would have pushed with KK. (I doubt that he is thinking on the 3rd level that you put him on a re-steal.) This might make him call (or push since he is aggressive) any reasonable bet if he indeed has a made hand on the flop. Based on this it might make sense to represent AA here and push if his aggressiveness includes folding. More likely though, he will felt any made hand.

Generally your equity with AK takes a sharp drop compare to pre-flop if you miss the flop. Your backdoor flush doesn't really make up for much in that regard. AK likes to see all 5 cards, which is why a push pre-flop can frequently be the correct play (you are a little too deep for that here, though). Maybe you should take the free card to see at least 4 out of 5 cards before putting more money in?

I am undecided.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:08 PM

Default Re: AKo on the button

I'd definitely be most concerned about facing JJ here. I'd check, and then definitely see what he does on the turn, and depending on what card hits. Dont' be afraid to check behind and check/fold here.