Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 09-28-2006, 12:35 PM

Default Why the hate on Godfather III?

I tried a search and I came up with a lot of posts that said it was overrated or terrible or a bad sequel, etc. However, no posts really delved into it....

I just got done watching it so I haven't had much time to really mull it over. Therefore maybe my mind is still molding on the subject, however....

This film seemed really good to me. Obviously it isn't as good as I or II (by far) but I still thought it was a really good movie in the context. I thought that it played on the life of Michael Corleone enough to be a very very good movie. I was engaged through nearly all of the 3 hour film and I thought it was executed very well. (You could almost take Godfather 3 and break it into two films itself...like the original two.)...Also, I found the mood of this movie to be awesome. It isn't quite as good at setting the dark tone as the first two, but it still does it better than most movies I have seen.

I've heard a lot of people devaluing it becuase of Coppola's acting alone, but I didn't find her role big enough to distract me at all. While the cousins' love thing was a little out there, I could believe it for the context of the film....

So I ask, why should I not be rating this movie 10/10 like I want to? (I rated the first two 10/10 but I admit they're more like 12/10 compared to this one)....

Sidenote (I watched all three films for the first time over yesterday and this morning...so I havne't had much reflection time)...
Old 09-28-2006, 02:13 PM

Default Re: Why the hate on Godfather III?

You can rate any movie you'd like 10/10 whenever you wish; you can rate "Tank Girl" a 10/10.

I've never seen GFIII, so I will refrain from comment. However, I will say that when it comes to the final film of an epic trilogy, a director has a responsibility to honor the tone and character development of the film's predecessors. More generally speaking, he has an obligation to keep his work on par with his past two films.

That is not to say that one film has to be equivalent to another in excellence, but one should see and feel a consistentcy in the director's artistic expression. From my limited viewing of GFIII, I simply don't see that. It's hard enough making a contemporary version of a film that so heavily relies on its 1950s (and earlier) context to succeed; seeing a helicopter attack Pacino and colleagues with a machine gun or Andy Garcia bone Sofia Coppolla doesn't exactly feel consistent with this.

Another pressing adage as to GFIII is, well, why ruin a good thing? Film viewers have a tendency to view a epic as a whole, and each part of that epic is quite significant in relation to its whole (it was Peter Jackson's understanding of this principal that makes LOTR such an accomplishment, even objectively speaking). The ending of GFII was a beautiful close to the story of two generations of an American mafia. It is not necessarily "wrong" to make a third Godfather, but at best, it seems superfluous to do so. At worst, you have an failed effort by a director to re-manifest a creation that may have been better off put to an end 15 years ago.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:55 PM

I don't remember why I felt this way, but when I saw GF3 I was terribly disappointed. Maybe its time for a rewatch.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:14 PM

See, all of what you said makes good sense SL. However, this film--if not compared to the previous ones but rather only recognizing the previous ones for established story/tone/etc.--is a really good movie in my mind.

I think a HUGE problem people have with it is that it isn't as good as the first two movies. However, I still find it to be quite the achievement in completing a story that some argue is already complete.....

I don't know, I just don't see that much wrong with it cinematically. The story is original(ish) and there are a lot of really well done scenes.

As for me rating anything 10/10, I realize what you mean, but I'm basically asking why others didn't rate it 10/10, based on something other than "I didn't like it." Which, this being the lounge, I know people are more than willing to express WHY they think what they think.

So I shall sit hopefully and await more replies.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:15 PM

We went through this about 3 weeks ago, here:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...part=1&vc=1
Old 09-28-2006, 07:09 PM

THanks DB. I swear I searched and nothing came up. I don't know if it was because of the space int he title or somethign else, but that whole thread was missed by my search....

Meh, reading it just makes me feel better about my POV. I didn't have the problem that many people are going on about: the acting. Outside Coppola, who wasn't really an imperative role for "good acting," I say whatever.

Thanks for the link though DB.