Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 04:25 AM

Default USC vs. LSU/OSU for National Championship?

Bookies think that USC and LSU would meet in a national championship game if the NCAA had a football playoff system.

[ QUOTE ]

"True, USC might be ranked No. 8 in the BSC rankings, but over the long haul of a playoff system, we see them winning the whole thing," said BetUS.com oddsmaker Reed Richards.

Richard Gardner, Bodoglife.com's sports-book manager, agreed but said he thinks LSU is the second-best bet. So did the oddsmakers at BetCRIS.com.

"USC started slow, but they've been playing great football lately now that everyone is healthy," Gardner said. "LSU was the second favorite, as we feel like they would beat every team but USC on a neutral field.

"The performance by the Big Ten over the last two years hurt Ohio State in our rankings. Kansas has the longest odds, as they have had the easiest schedule. Their game vs. Missouri showed they aren't ready to play with the big boys."

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it looks like Bob Young miscounted, I think OSU comes in second on two out of three sports lines. This makes the Rose Bowl the de facto NCAA National Championship Game.

Argue/Discuss this stuff in the existing thread.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:47 AM

Default Re: USC vs. LSU/OSU for National Championship?

aren't we getting a bit ahead of ourselves? UCLA is in the Rose Bowl next week if they beat SC (and ASU loses).

[ QUOTE ]
Their game vs. Missouri showed they aren't ready to play with the big boys.

[/ QUOTE ] What does that even mean? They lost to the "#1" team in the country on a neutral field by 8 after throwing 2 red zone picks and missing 2 FGs.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:03 AM

Default Re: USC vs. LSU/OSU for National Championship?

From last week's discussion i concluded that this is why no one wants a playoff. Obviously no likes the fact that the best team would own in a playoff.

Because 'all teams face adversity,' the best system is where adversity beyond the team's control keeps them out to give all the little fish a shot.

I'm not saying a playoff would be perfect. Obviously a team like USC that got injured early would benefit over a team like Oregon that got injured late. Nevertheless its better than the current system.

Also, i've seen two Ohio State games this year, against Illinois and Michigan, and Ohio State looked impressive in neither, at least offensively. i realize they blew out a bunch of other teams but who was good exactly? The worst part about all of this is even if some of these Rose Bowl matchups look like potential national championships USC will own because its basically home field for us, and last time I checked none of these teams have Vince Young on their team.
Closed Thread