Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games

Old 11-27-2007, 10:32 PM

Default Re: PC asdf config. vs. console controller

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what your budget is, but the recent cards that just dropped in the $200-$250 price range

[/ QUOTE ]

Money isn't really an issue. My current PC is almost 5 years old and the video card and RAM have each been upgraded once since the initial purchase. It's time to buy a new PC so I'm trying to determine whether to buy something a little more scaled back or another gaming machine.

The more I think about it the more likely I am to keep gaming on the PC and skipping the console. Over the years I've used the joysticks often enough on friend's systems and I'm not sure I'll ever adjust. Probably more frustration than it's worth. Especially in an FPS where aiming is a mother without a mouse.

It sounds as though I'm not the only long time PC user to struggle moving from wasd to joysticks.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:05 PM

I struggle with FPS on consoles as well. I'm a way above average CS/TF2 player but I can't play Halo 3 or any console FPS for my life.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:18 AM

I also took quite a while to adjust, but love the results. IMO there seems to be a larger skill gap between the players at the 'top' of console aiming, and those at the bottom - when compared to mice, which everybody can get pretty darn good at aiming without a whole lot of effort. Another nice thing is the lack of concern about people using wallhacks, aim bots, etc... but that's another issue all together.

First thing I'd do when learning is to drop the sensitivity way down, to like 4-5. It's a bit harder to get used to the controls, and trying to go at 7+ when first starting out is just going to frustrate you. And then first work on a new type of aiming (at least for Halo). Don't try to circle strafe your opponents at first. Instead line up your reticule with their head height and then don't touch the right analog. Only use the left analog to keep up with their movements and keep them targetted, and maintain a proper distance. This will give you a whole lot more control. It's a completely different type of aiming, but once you get it down everything becomes much much easier and you can slowly start integrating more 'standard' ways of shooting/maneuvering.