Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2007, 12:06 AM

Default Re: Rock Band

[ QUOTE ]
I think having someone sing for this game is one of the dumbest things ever. Who would want to do that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Daliman LDO
Old 11-25-2007, 12:58 AM

maybe I'm weird but I love singing in this game
Old 11-25-2007, 01:00 AM

singing is very fun
Old 11-25-2007, 08:18 AM

yea singing is the most fun part of the game imo...i imagine it is not too much fun for everyone else in the room though
Old 11-25-2007, 03:11 PM

Got the game on Wednesday, and have been playing it a bit the last few days so I'll add a few impressions. Really loving the game so far!

- As mentioned, the guitar is pretty easy compared to GH. On solo career, I was getting 100% on pretty much everything on Medium on the first try, and I'm not very good compared to most on here. Toward the end of medium, it is starting to get a little harder. The good thing about this, is it makes it a little easier for people to pick up the game who haven't played it before.

- The HO/POs in this game are poorly designed IMO. Yes, they do exist, but man, they are hard to see, because they are indicated by being slightly narrower than the regular rectangle note bar. To me at least, when the notes are flying it's pretty hard to distiguish between the two.

- Haven't had any problem activating star power with the Fender guitar. I will say I don't like the strum bar on it at all, so most of the time I'm using the GH3 guitar.

- Drums are awesome as expected. Even on easy they can be a little challenging at first when you factor in the bass pedal. I tried a few songs on medium, and my leg was worn out after a while from that damn pedal.

- Singing is also awesome IMO. Very fun, and the engine for grading the tone/pitch seems to work pretty well. I've only played on Medium solo career so far. Singing songs you haven't heard before, or don't know the lyrics/tune, is difficult for sure.

- Singing brag: 100% on Learn to Fly on medium
- Singing beat: 3 stars on Sabotage? I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, but I suck at the spoken word/non pitch graded parts. (maybe this is explained in the tutorial, haven't tried that)
- Singing variance: 99% on the Garbage song, so I guess I can also pull off Shirley Manson.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I am now immortal, since "How do you kill that which has no life?"

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2007, 01:29 PM

yeah nolan, the spoken word part you just.. speak.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:43 PM

Played this at a friends house this weekend. There were 3 of us (our drummer got caught up with his GF). I began by singing, although I'm not very good, and still had a blast. However, I couldn't handle the Hole song on Medium and eventually our guitarist swapped with me and he nailed it. He even 100%ed Vasoline on his first shot. I proceeded to 100% In Bloom the first two times I tried it on Medium.

I played the drums a few songs, but it's tough even on easy and it really is tiring. Not sure if I'll play them much. Drums never really appealed to me.

Overall, the game is awesome. The campaign mode is 100x more fun than GH, although it seemed like 1 of every 10 songs was Dead or Alive.

Oh side note, we used the Xplorer for the lead guitar and the RB guitar for bass. The strumbar broke on the RB guitar and wouldn't spring back up when you strummed down. My friend went to the EA website and they are shipping out a new guitar within a couple days and he's supposed to send the other one back. So, they did a horrible job making the guitar, but at least they made the replacement process easy.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i only figured out how to activate overdrive on the guitar, and you do that by shaking the guitar, the same way you save a player. couldn't figure it out on drums or mic though.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the mic, you just sing anything when the yellow section comes on and it activates. I believe in overdrive mode you are allowed to add tons of extra lyrics in between the actual ones without penalty.

On the drums, I think you play random stuff in the yellow zone and then nail that last note that pops up.

BTW, the songs that let you jam at the end are a blast. We'd just yell random crap in the mic while wailing away on the instruments racking up points.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
- The HO/POs in this game are poorly designed IMO. Yes, they do exist, but man, they are hard to see, because they are indicated by being slightly narrower than the regular rectangle note bar. To me at least, when the notes are flying it's pretty hard to distiguish between the two.

[/ QUOTE ]

so annoying, it plagues GH1, 2 and RockBand

only GH3 got it right, while GH3 has the loosest timing window, it could have the tightest one, and it still be the easiest to play the HO/PO because of the better recognition