Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-23-2007, 04:30 PM

Default Re: getting fast cars in automatic....

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lol, at mentioning VW and Subaru in a fast cars thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol at knowing nothing about cars.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol at driving a VW or a Subaru even if its the fastest car on the planet

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem dumb. Post less, please.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:31 PM

I recently ditched my 5 speed for a newer auto car because it was a great deal and I needed something with good gas mileage, but I now regret it.

Everytime I come to a stop and go to press down my left foot a little piece of me dies
Old 11-23-2007, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem dumb. Post less, please.

[/ QUOTE ]

says the guy in the neon green Subaru with pink lights glowing around the lowered ground efects kit.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Performance related arguments are all outdated. FWIW I have always driven manual and still do, but the only reason manuals aren't obsolete is because of cost. There is technology out there that will outperform a manual transmission in every way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know enough about cars to refute this but if this statement is true then why is this technology not offered on higher end sports car?

Last time I bought a performance car where price considerations were not an issue the dealership didn't mention this technology as an option.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could be wrong, but i believe he's talking about tiptronic transmission, which originated in formula 1, and is now featured in several sports cars.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're half right, I'm referring to any design of dual clutch transmissions, which is not tiptronic but it is the type used in F1 cars. Mitsubishi calls it TC-SST and uses it in the Lancer Evo X, Audi calls it S-Tronic and is used in the TT.

A dual clutch transmission is mechanically similar to a manual transmission, but shifting is nearly seamless (~10ms), which means not only is acceleration better, but you can shift gears while turning aggressively (if you're taking a turn in a manual car as fast as it can go, interrupting power long enough to shift gears WILL cause you to lose control no matter how great of a driver you are).

The only drawback is the cost associated with developing a new technology, but in terms of performance there is no argument that these transmissions are superior to old school MTs in every way. So while they are expensive and most likely unavailable to the car OP is considering, the fact that this technology DOES exist in a practical form makes all these arguments centered around how you're a pansy if you drive anything other than a fully MT pretty lame IMO.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem dumb. Breath less, please.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-23-2007, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I recently ditched my 5 speed for a newer auto car because it was a great deal and I needed something with good gas mileage, but I now regret it.

Everytime I come to a stop and go to press down my left foot a little piece of me dies

[/ QUOTE ]

I always do that when I drive an auto, and sometimes want to shift into first, too.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The only drawback is the cost associated with developing a new technology, but in terms of performance there is no argument that these transmissions are superior to old school MTs in every way. So while they are expensive and most likely unavailable to the car OP is considering, the fact that this technology DOES exist in a practical form makes all these arguments centered around how you're a pansy if you drive anything other than a fully MT pretty lame IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, the people saying these types of transmissions are for pussies are pretty ridiculous.

I was talking to my roommate the other day, and asked if he would ever consider a car that had just the stick-shift, but no need to use the foot clutch. He said he'd never want that.

I was like... WTF? Why? Isn't the joy in driving a manual playing with the stick shift? I personally think the foot clutch is the biggest pain.

D10 - which production level cars actually have these types of transmissions? Any that are moderately affordable?
Old 11-23-2007, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I could be wrong, but i believe he's talking about tiptronic transmission, which originated in formula 1, and is now featured in several sports cars.

[/ QUOTE ]

To clarify, there are two types of "hybrid" transmissions: those which are essentially automatic transmissions but whose gears can be changed manually (e.g., Porsche Tiptronic), and those which are essentially (clutchless) manual transmissions which can auto-change gears to mimic automatic mode (e.g., BMW SMG). I have owned both types, and they are quite different. The former offers a smooth, automatic-like ride in auto mode, whereas the latter offers all the performance (actually superior) of a clutch manual gearbox.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, most everything out there with paddle shifters is still a torque converter equipped automatic. The only cars with hydraulic gearboxes are Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, and BMW M cars. These hydraulically assisted gearboxes are usually the same internally as other manual transmissions but the shifting and the clutch is operated with a hydraulic system.

These things are getting very advance. On the M3 with SMG II, it does many things based on input from the engine and it's computer along with the hydraulic systems own accelerometers. For instance on a steep incline you can pull the left paddle back for ~3 seconds and it will slightly disengage the clutch to hold the car on the hill so it doesn't roll backwards. It can do emergency starts where the system detects a sudden flooring of the throttle and quickly engages the clutch, pulsating it several times per second to minimize wheel spin. Also computer controlled rev-matched downshifts. Probably a few more things that I'm forgetting. Also the more accurate control of the clutch via a computer extends the clutch life about 15-20% in my observation.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
D10 - which production level cars actually have these types of transmissions? Any that are moderately affordable?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Audi TT is available starting between $35-$40k and the Evo X should be around the same price when it starts selling here. VWs have this kind of transmission available in almost all of their cars. The Bugatti Veyron also uses it. So it's found a pretty wide range of applications, and I expect to see it becoming much more common in the near future.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem dumb. Breath less, please.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

says the guy that looks like Poindexter and couldn't get laid with a suitcase full of cash in the back of his Subaru