Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2007, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Ask garcia1000 about Hong Kong

I am interested in a stock Alibaba..
listed as 1688.hk

any thoughts?
I used this service to connect with some manufacturers in China.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:23 PM

pics of food please. im really hungry.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:27 PM

Do euros need work permit to live there?
Old 11-16-2007, 03:42 PM

In your opinion, where is the best dim sum in Hong Kong?
Old 11-16-2007, 05:33 PM

Good lord, that has got to be the most broad question to ever ask someone from HK.

Its like asking, Where is the best deli in NYC. Who [censored] knows.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:02 PM

Sup dudes

[ QUOTE ]
I am interested in a stock Alibaba..
listed as 1688.hk

any thoughts?
I used this service to connect with some manufacturers in China.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can buy it if you want... at current valuations, it implies earnings growth of 25% for 15 years. It also assumes that suppliers and buyers focus only on price when deciding who to buy from, and that long-term relationships are immaterial.

It's super hot because it is both a China play and a Web 2.0 play!

[ QUOTE ]
pics of food please. im really hungry.

[/ QUOTE ]

What sort of food?

[ QUOTE ]
Do euros need work permit to live there?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe so. I am not an expert on work permit stuff, though! You can stay for a few months as a tourist, but you won't be allowed to work.

[ QUOTE ]
In your opinion, where is the best dim sum in Hong Kong?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's a three-way tie between Forum Restaurant, Fook Lam Moon, and Sun Tung Lok. http://www.openrice.com/ is the Hong Kong equivalent of whatever it is you guys use to find restaurant peer reviews.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:16 AM

how is the Film Industry? - Last I heard they took a dive and now a lot of production is done in China -

the wage to rent ratio seems surreal - or am I missing something - I don't know how you could make what those unskilled workers make and live anywhere but a rattrap. Or were the prices you describing for middle class living and a great chunk of the population lives in substandard housing?

What is transportation like - I presume there's got to be a lot of public transportation? How is the car/smog issue?

seen any Shaw Bro. movies lately [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

rb
Old 11-17-2007, 05:14 PM

Most important question of all. I'll go there within 1 week.

Can i play PArty Poker or any other Poker room while in China/HongKong?????
Old 11-18-2007, 09:56 PM

what did you like and miss about the united states? what do you think is special about hong kong that you especially appreciate?
Old 11-18-2007, 10:55 PM

Hey guys

These are good questions!

[ QUOTE ]
how is the Film Industry? - Last I heard they took a dive and now a lot of production is done in China -

[/ QUOTE ]

Hong Kong is not really suited to having a film industry (my opinion only). While a few decades ago, they were capable of churning out large amounts of crap, now they are only capable of churning out small amounts of crap (occasional brilliant directors like Johnnie To or Wong Kar Wai excluded).

The problem seems to not be with the directors but with the actors and actresses. Actors are chosen not on the basis of talent, but on marketability. For example, Twins is a very hot local duo of two girls who have neither singing talent, acting talent, charm, or grace. However, they appear cute to the ignorant mongoloid segment of society. Also, they are pliable and easily controlled by their backers.

So, these backers, which are powerful and may or may not have organized crime connections, make them do everything: singing and releasing record albums, appearing in variety shows, lots of advertisements, acting in movies. Since they are not chosen for their acting skill but for their backers, the quality of acting suffers.

[ QUOTE ]
the wage to rent ratio seems surreal - or am I missing something - I don't know how you could make what those unskilled workers make and live anywhere but a rattrap. Or were the prices you describing for middle class living and a great chunk of the population lives in substandard housing?

[/ QUOTE ]

A large segment of the population lives in subsidized government housing or free government housing. These are generally 300-500 sqft flats for a family of four. They are not comfortable, but they are functional. My family used to live in one because the rent was something like US$50/month, before we had to move out because of income limitations.

The prices I quoted before were for middle class housing. This would generally be affordable by people in professional fields, the civil service, or two-income families in commercial/business sectors.

You didn't ask why land prices are so high. I would love to expand on that, if you are interested!

[ QUOTE ]
What is transportation like - I presume there's got to be a lot of public transportation? How is the car/smog issue?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only bourgeiosie and the idle rich drive cars. 90%+ of the population relies exclusively on public transport. Taxis are almost as cheap as cars after you consider vehicle licensing/petrol/carpark costs. For example, we have a car and this is what our expenses are like:

Car park - $3000/year
Licensing fee - $750/year
Average car maintenance/repairs - $2000/year

Cost of petrol is around $7/gallon.

On the other hand taxis cost around $0.90/km.

Buses are very cheap, very frequent, and serve all important areas. The subway is also very cheap, very frequent, and serves most densely populated areas. There are minibuses, which are like buses but only seat 16 people, and are faster and even more frequent. There is also a tram, a train, a light rail, ferries, and who knows what else. The only things missing are bicycles and segways.

[ QUOTE ]
seen any Shaw Bro. movies lately

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope!

[ QUOTE ]
Can i play PArty Poker or any other Poker room while in China/HongKong?????

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be illegal in Hong Kong because of an ordinance that specifically states that online gambling is banned, and criminal charges will be laid against anyone found doing so!

Successful prosecutions so far: 0

[ QUOTE ]
what did you like and miss about the united states?

[/ QUOTE ]

Clean air
Caramel sundaes at McDonald's
Hot Caucasian university girls
Easy depositing to poker sites

[ QUOTE ]
what do you think is special about hong kong that you especially appreciate?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm... I have lived here for most of my life. I think it is a vibrant city which is always active. I appreciate being able to go wherever I want with around 15 minutes of total travel time. I like the good public transport system. If you know where to find them, things are cheap. Food is great! I can't stress this enough, because I love food. So far I have found only Sydney in Australia has better food.

Also, people here invest in the stock market like crazed gesticulating orangutans. It's easier to be profitable at this than in the US.