Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 09-04-2007, 05:03 PM

Default Re: fine, I\'ll start a new DVD CLUB thread

Oldboy

best twist ending I have ever seen in my life.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:51 PM

Midnight Cowboy
Old 09-08-2007, 05:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So, I'm new to TLDR, but is there a typical genre here? Would I get laughed at for suggesting something like "Lone Star?"

[/ QUOTE ]

nope, that's fine....Anything that the general public might have missed...something like Wedding Crashers, for example, might not be a good pick...

[/ QUOTE ]

Lone Star, One False Move, and Red Rock West were very good films from the same period (more or less) that never found an audience. All are worth discussing IMO (but I'll go for Sex and Lucia since it's on the way).

~ Rick
Old 09-21-2007, 08:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Only qualification: if you nominate a film, you MUST be willing to watch whatever movie is chosen and contribute to the discussion that follows. If you think you won't be able to, don't bother nominating anything!

My choice:

Sex and Lucia

[/ QUOTE ]

Sex and Lucia. I just watched it. If Sex and Lucia is elected I'll contribute what I can to the best of my limited ability.

Quick review: The most wonderfully acted, photographed and written film one could imagine on this sort of material. Everything eventually connects in the most subtle and interesting and satisfying way. The sex was great too but I hardly noticed (maybe I'm too old or my gf left me drained [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]).

~ Rick

PS Is this DVD club an actual club that you have to be sponsored to become a member (sort of like an exclusive yacht club) and could you possibly be blackballed or whatever? Are the bylaws posted somewhere?
Old 09-21-2007, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Only qualification: if you nominate a film, you MUST be willing to watch whatever movie is chosen and contribute to the discussion that follows. If you think you won't be able to, don't bother nominating anything!

My choice:

Sex and Lucia

[/ QUOTE ]

Sex and Lucia. I just watched it. If Sex and Lucia is elected I'll contribute what I can to the best of my limited ability.

Quick review: The most wonderfully acted, photographed and written film one could imagine on this sort of material. Everything eventually connects in the most subtle and interesting and satisfying way. The sex was great too but I hardly noticed (maybe I'm too old or my gf left me drained [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]).

~ Rick

PS Is this DVD club an actual club that you have to be sponsored to become a member (sort of like an exclusive yacht club) and could you possibly be blackballed or whatever? Are the bylaws posted somewhere?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey! I'm glad SOMEONE besides me thinks this film is great...it's amazing what more you get out of it on multiple vewings, too...I promised Katy I'd start a thread on it so we can talk about it...

And no, you can join the club....the only rule is that if you vote you my promise to watch and discuss the chosen film.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:33 PM

I thought it was very good. I watched it for the first time about two years ago. A couple months ago I was reminded of it for some reason and couldn't get the plot straight in my head anymore so I Netflixed it for a 2nd time.

Paz Vega is amazing, in more ways then one and her character is what made me like this film. The story was interesting, I really liked the way it was told, I found a number of the other characters to be mildly interesting but I loved her character.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Michael Haneke's The Piano Teacher. I'm sure this would cause some controversy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Saw it tonight based on it being mentioned in this forum.

From the upper left corner of the Rotten Tomatoes review page:

By Jeff Vice - Deseret News movie critic:

"The Piano Teacher" is the sort of movie that discourages American audiences from ever wanting to see another foreign film."

But I liked this review even better.

~ Rick
Old 11-04-2007, 03:30 AM

I am tired and not reading, but if someone can tell me what movie I was supposed to watch, I can try to get it from netflix and do so. No promises of course, but hey...I posted in the Before Sunrise thread so now I can join one of these again. Haha.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:32 AM

I feel stupid posting in this thread as pretty much everyone here has more knowledge of film than I do; but Thank you for Smoking is a really good flick.