Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 03-16-2007, 10:16 AM

Default F1 Season Starts Tomorrow Night (US EDT)

St. Patrick's day and the start of the 2007 Formula One season. The lads are decending on my house for both tomorrow night, while the wives head out to Mohegan Sun.

Boiled dinner, ale, whiskey, cigars, and F1. Me and four British guys. Should be fun, provided we leave a couple windows open to ventilate.

Ferrari set the pace in Friday practice, running in the 1:27's - about two ticks off last year's pace (not sure if it's weather in australia or the bridgestone tires).

Anyone else follow F1? What say you?
Old 03-16-2007, 10:21 AM

Default Re: F1 Season Starts Tomorrow Night (US EDT)

Looking forward to it, should be one of the more interesting seasons due to the massive shake-up in drivers. Should be a first title for Raikkonen but McLaren look pretty strong as well. Sounds like BMW may break the top 4 with Honda struggling.. all seems to be promising anyway.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:20 PM

I was so hoping there were more than 3 F1 fans here.

I was so sad.

earlier thread started by me

23 views and no replies.

Excellent start to the year. I've got mixed emotions about Kimi being in a Ferrari. I am a Kimi fan, not so much a Ferrari fan.

Podium in 1st race by rookie Hamilton. awesome for him.

Renault was pitiful and what the hell with Honda and Toyota both sucking so hard again.

Excellent drive by Massa from the back. Too bad he wasn't in the mix early.

And dammit Coultard, back off boy, Wurz coulda been badly injured in that crash.

Will Speed be replaced midyear? Not a strong start even tho it didn't appear to be his fault.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:34 AM

What a drive by Raikkonen. The ponies looked very good - especially Massa's drive from the back to claim 3 points. Not much space for overtaking on any of these circuits.

The Albers wreck was embarrassing, at least the explanation of it. IIRC he said he was fidgeting with his uniform and by the time he looked up he was already through the turn and headed for the gravel trap.

Not an Alonso fan but his race was very workman like. Impressive start for Hamilton. He's a very interesting story. McLaren's paddock looks formidable, though Massa's grid position obviously helped.

If Speed does get bumped down to 3rd or worse, I doubt it would happen before the European swing in July. Speed has to run at Indy, where he'll wreck in turn 1 again.

Dreadful performance by Spyker. Renault looked sluggish all weekend. Nice to see Hatfeld and BMW so close to the podium, but a tough break for last year's sensation, Kubica.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Albers wreck was embarrassing, at least the explanation of it. IIRC he said he was fidgeting with his uniform and by the time he looked up he was already through the turn and headed for the gravel trap.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they said he said he was adjust his ear plugs when he lost it.

[ QUOTE ]
If Speed does get bumped down to 3rd or worse, I doubt it would happen before the European swing in July. Speed has to run at Indy, where he'll wreck in turn 1 again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree they won't demote/fire him before Indy, but Gerhard doesn't seem to like him and if his results don't improve regardless of his performance I think he'll be gone. He at least needs to perform as well as Liuzzi does.

[ QUOTE ]
tough break for last year's sensation, Kubica.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes that was tough, He was impressive last year and I suspect will be this year also.

Briatore had some pretty scathing remarks for his rookie Kovalainen. But it is exciting to see all the fresh meat with such potential.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:15 PM

posted in Micro NC thread also, fwiw.

Wow.

I know not many of you follow F1 but there has been a stink this year about corporate espionage between Ferrari and Maclaren - Stepneygate.

This past week an Italian "journalist" reported that he had email evidence that showed that two of the Maclaren drivers had knowledge of the pilfered information. (This was reported just prior to the Italian Grand Prix at Monza.

Journo admits concocting email quotes

[ QUOTE ]

An Italian journalist, who claimed he had evidence of the Fernando Alonso/Pedro de la Rosa's email that has landed McLaren in hot water, has confessed to making up the quotes.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
However, Allievi has now confessed to concocting the quotes, saying that he did insist that the quotes were 'hypothetical' in their nature.

He told the Associated Press: "I made a free interpretation of what might have been said in the email."

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet his momma's proud of him.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:57 AM

bump for Hamilton finally making a mistake.

zomg what a points race.

Vettel rules btw
Old 10-07-2007, 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
bump for Hamilton finally making a mistake.

zomg what a points race.

Vettel rules btw

[/ QUOTE ]

Seemed like pretty awful decision making from McClaren and Hamilton in this race, first with Hamilton fighting to hold off a clearly much faster Raikonnen and then giving up almost his entire 20 second lead on Alonso and sliding all over the place before they finally decided to bring him in. There was absolutely no reason to try to win this GP once he started having problems and it was clear Alonso wouldn't catch Raikkonen. Third or fourth would have put him in an excellent position to win the championship.

It will make for a great final race though. I can't remember the last time three drivers could win going into the final race?
Old 10-07-2007, 08:04 AM

i can't believe i clicked on this thread before i watch the race. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]