Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 12:17 AM

Default Re: Downswing Need Sanity Check from 2+2ers

I will never limp from early position. If I flop a huge hand in a limped pot chances are I won't win much. If I flop a draw I will have to play it out of position. When I raise I can take down the blinds, and create the right image so that when I hit big i can get paid off.

I raise any pocket pair from any position. The answer to most your questions can be found in the excellent 6-max fundamentals thread in the sticky.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:13 AM

ok i'm going to contradict everything in this thread. having a pfr that is only slightly less than your vpip is a recipe for disaster at <=10nl. an ideal vpip would probably be 30-40 with a pfr of less than 5. you have to see as many flops as possible as cheaply as possible to beat the lowest levels of nlhe. at 10nl and less you have to take advantage of how little most of the players care about what happens. but as you would at a higher limit and have to still take advantage of position. if you can play the button for 1bb you should do it everytime and then look to make a bet on the flop if no one seems to want the pot. and don't get discouraged by downswings there simply is no way to avoid them.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Based on your read shove the flop..

General comments...Tighten up your spread between VP$IP and PFR%..With a PFR number of 8 I find it very very very hard to believe you are abusing the button in the fashion you say...OTOH If your are raising the button liberally your position play is horrible...Far to much limp calling and or calling raises...Limp calling is lighting money on fire...

I would suggest you post your stats(general and position stats) in the thread you seem to have some major leaks in your pre-flop and position play..

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks KEW...Here you go...

General Stats over 6,740 hands
=================================
VP$IP: 28.13
VP$IP from SB: 40.91
PFR: 7.91
Flop AF: 4.19
Turn AF: 3.44
River AF: 2.86
Total AF: 3.77

Position Stats (Total Hands/VP$IP/ColdCall%/PFR
================================
Button: 1330/36.77/3.76/13.38
1 (Cutoff): 1217/26.29/2.05/7.31
2: 1017/25.27/0.20/7.96
3: 546/24.91/0.00/8.61
BB: 1327/12.13/0.00/4.60
SB: 1303/40.91/0.00/5.91 <--- The VP$IP might be a leak???

Let me know if this is what you're looking for. How can I tell in PT if I'm limping and then calling a raise to much? I there a filter for this? Thanks in advance.

AC

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sure what I am going to say has already been said(I went to play a session)...

You need to tighten up and increase your PFR%...You are playing far far too many hands OOP...Limping into the pot is a bad idea..Standard raise is 4XBB + 1BB per limper..There is no reason to play this many hands at this limit..

I am confused by you post flop aggression figure..How can you be so passive pre-flop but then go wild(compared to PF) after the flop...Limping in as often as you do I can not see you hitting enough flop to justify those post flop aggro numbers...

Number #1 most important lesson in NL is the importance of position...Hands that are unplayable from EP are easily +EV from LP...

When just learning the game you are much better off playing fewer hands..The number 1 reason new low limit player lose is they simply play to many hands..I would suggest you tighten up to about 18%..Greatly increase your opening raises and ATT to Steal #...
Old 10-02-2007, 02:50 AM

Does not compute.

[ QUOTE ]
I am 28/7.9/3.8 over 6,700 hands. For some background info, I am very aggressive on the button when it's folded around to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-02-2007, 02:52 AM

Am I reading this right?

It is 4-handed and you open limp the button??

You lost less than 100bb with two pair when there were two flush draws out.

No big deal.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ok i'm going to contradict everything in this thread. having a pfr that is only slightly less than your vpip is a recipe for disaster at <=10nl. an ideal vpip would probably be 30-40 with a pfr of less than 5. you have to see as many flops as possible as cheaply as possible to beat the lowest levels of nlhe. at 10nl and less you have to take advantage of how little most of the players care about what happens. but as you would at a higher limit and have to still take advantage of position. if you can play the button for 1bb you should do it everytime and then look to make a bet on the flop if no one seems to want the pot. and don't get discouraged by downswings there simply is no way to avoid them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to disagree with you on this one. My stats are around 22/17/2.83 and I'm doing very well at 10NL and killed 2NL. Think I'm about ready to move up to 25NL. Limping that much in 10NL doesn't allow you to win much money from those people that don't care what happens when you actually hit a hand.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:17 AM

Are you talking about Tien's "Some 6max Fundamentals" post? If so, I just read it and man, it was an eye-opener! I now realize I'm playing way too loose passive preflop. No more open limping for me in LP.

AC
Old 10-02-2007, 11:29 AM

Drive the bus rather than ride the little yellow bus to school. That means RAISE RAISE RAISE. Seriously your preflop raise should be way over half your VP. 24/20, 22/18, 16/12, 45/30...what ever you decide to play you need to be raising hands and putting pressure.

If you can't raise certain hands due to position or table conditions, then dont play it. Playing limp along is not going to win you large enough pots to equal out against the times you miss. When you are the preflop raiser you have so many different ways to win the hands post flop. Using position you are controlling the table that hand. Become the driver and not the rider, the game gets ALOT easier!
Old 10-02-2007, 11:32 AM

you have a long way to go young grasshopper. You will get there. I am sure a vast majority of us started out like you. I know I did.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
an ideal vpip would probably be 30-40 with a pfr of less than 5. you have to see as many flops as possible as cheaply as possible to beat the lowest levels of nlhe.

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW...Jerry thats terrible advice.