Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 06:20 AM

Default Help me allocate my life roll, please =)

I have exactly 50k to my name and want to start really making my money work for me while I start actually putting in some decent hours playing poker. The tentative plan is to play poker full time for a couple of months (mostly live cash, with some internet tournaments) while also learning and investing more heavily in the stock market.

I'll post more details later but I don't want to bias responses by posting how I have my money set up now. I will say that there's no way I'd feel comfortable using all 50k as a poker roll and that I'm fairly risk adverse with poker but I'd be willing to take on a decent amount of risk in the stock market. The long term goal is to have a down payment ready for property when market conditions are ideal (12-18 months?)

Any advice on achieving a balance between investing and bankroll allocation is appreciated.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:25 AM

Default Re: Help me allocate my life roll, please =)

Honestly, I know very little about investing for profit but I can tell you that your chances of making more than 10% on 50K in 12-18 months is slim to none without taking on substantial risk.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:07 AM

If your saving for a down payment on a house, stay away from the stock market at this time.

Put at least 25,000 into a high paying savings account earning at least 5.20%........
Old 09-01-2007, 04:13 PM

I currently have like 30k in a cd earning not quite that much but it matures on sep. 11 so I'll definitely consider putting a good chunk of my money into an online checking account like etrade or something yielding a solid rate. I would like to make my money work harder than simply 5%... do you really see the market as being that risky right now to stay out of it completely? I already have 5k in the market and would like to continue to learn more about investing. I also plan on playing poker.

I was thinking something along the lines of devoting 15k to poker and splitting the remaining 35k between savings/living expenses, and stocks. Just not sure how much to commit to the market. Again, any help is appreciated.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:35 PM

use the search function in ssnl and msnl for proper bakroll size. Use the search function here for figuring out how to allocate your investing money.
Closed Thread