Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2007, 02:30 PM

Default Re: The Make a Wish Foundation

Guids, Dude,

Ok. I might read up on that stuff, but right now in the context of this thread AI is a charity that does more good per $ (blah blah utilitarianism) than MaWF, which while intending well is relatively facile.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Guids, Dude,

Ok. I might read up on that stuff, but right now in the context of this thread AI is a charity that does more good per $ (blah blah utilitarianism) than MaWF, which while intending well is relatively facile.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not disputing that necessarily, but Im more likely to donate to MaWF, because I am at a polar opposition with some of what AI does. So MaWF is something that while it doesnt do much in the utilitarian sense, I can get behind, where I have great disdain for some of AIs politics....which was basically the whole point of the little sidetrack that we got started.

If by political agenda you mean valueing and respecting the dignity of human lives, even those lacking Americanness, then yeah Amnesty International is hugely political.

Just totally WTF?

This stupid comment was what people are having trouble with.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:47 PM

It seems to me that a large percentage of these kids would get really depressed after having their wish granted.
They get back from Disneyland, or wherever...then they're pretty much waiting to die.
They know they will never be able to do that type of thing again, and after having so much fun that has to add to their depression.

I don't know if I explained that well.

Either way, I'm with the OP on this one.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude nevermind Make a Wish, think about [censored] PETA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Forget PETA. How about those malcontents over at the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.

That's right, you know the little boy who's
getting ready to die?

Get him a table dance.

Get him a table dance, for Christ's sake!

l'm sure the Make-A-Wish people
hear that request every now and then.

Get the boy a table dance.

''What do you want, Jimmy? You're dying.
Wanna meet Jim Carrey?''

''No, l want some big t***ies in my face."
Old 08-17-2007, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It's not any different from arguments in favor of euthanizing the elderly or letting the homeless starve or any number of ultimately 'logical' and impracticable ideas that might save all of us a couple of bucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure OP is not in favor of starving the homeless or euthanizing all the elderly. Actually, I don't know anyone who is in favor of stuff like that. Are you making stuff up to support an otherwise weak point?
Old 08-17-2007, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Uh, abolishing the death penalty, getting accused of international espionage, founded by a commie, its not exactly an apolitical organization. Just because you agree with their politics doesnt mean everyone does.

[/ QUOTE ]

their ideas have political implications, but they're not a partisan organization like MoveOn.org. They don't try to get people elected. They advocate for victims of state violence, or ethnic cleansing, or other terrible circumstances.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Come now. That's the most ridiculous logic I've ever heard. One only has to look at its treatment of Israel in relation to Hizbollah to understand where I'm coming from. I'm not saying they don't do good work, but to say they aren't politically motivated is just inane.

[/ QUOTE ]

????
AI accused both parties of war crimes in lebanon and called for an arms embargo against both parties until a war crimes tribunal could be set up, and an investgation completed. How is that biased?
How is politically motivated?
It's not like their work is centered around the ultimate goal of increasing the amount of democrats in congress, and everything else is a smokescreen for that. They have core principles, and values, and a mission statement, and they try to apply their benevolence to people of all nations or backgrounds, not just the pentagon and it's allies.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Uh, abolishing the death penalty, getting accused of international espionage, founded by a commie, its not exactly an apolitical organization. Just because you agree with their politics doesnt mean everyone does.

[/ QUOTE ]

their ideas have political implications, but they're not a partisan organization like MoveOn.org. They don't try to get people elected. They advocate for victims of state violence, or ethnic cleansing, or other terrible circumstances.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are equating politics with partisan american politics, the rest of us arent...unless they are? in that case, thats stupid.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you two trolling or are you really this stupid?

[/ QUOTE ]

"yeah I find it pretty freaking dumb too when so much of the world lack basic opportunities and resources"

Are you really this obtuse, or are YOU trolling?
Old 08-17-2007, 11:08 PM

that's just wrong.

Great poster child for MaWF "I just wanna go out with blood on my hands"

Who were the [censored] parents?