Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 11:33 PM

Default AK flops straight in 3bet pot, turn Very scary

Only 8 hands with villain, who is vpip 25. I poker stoved this on the flop and turn. I have a sick 66% equity. Why do I want to fold so bad? I know I didn't bet it hard enough. I was not committed on the turn but I couldnt just check could I?

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $29.40
hero: $96.30
CO: $93.30
Button: $35.70
SB: $30.40
BB: $51.85

Pre-flop: (6 players) hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">hero raises to $2</font>, 3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises to $6.5</font>, hero calls.

Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($13.25, 2 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">hero bets $7</font>, BB calls.

Turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($27.25, 2 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">hero bets $12</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises all-in $38.35</font>, hero...
Old 08-09-2007, 01:19 AM

Default Re: AK flops straight in 3bet pot, turn Very scary

Based on villain's preflop raise, I put him on AA, KK, QQ or AK.

I'm trying to get it all in after that flop. And I would start with a pot sized bet and lead turn. You will get max value from vilains holdings.

I do not believe we are behind on the turn, we are either splitting or ahead to trips or two pair. I would however think that villain is holding the As, and has pushed on this basis.

As played, I would call the turn, and be hoping for no more spades.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:35 AM

Given that he three bet you from the blinds we're reasonably safe to assume that he doesn't have a flush on the turn because all the high spades, aside from the ace, are already on the board.

As stated by oliverm, I think this is very likely to be a big pocket pair (including JJ). In fact, this could very easily be a play from JJ with the Js.

You only need to call $22~ more on the river with a hand that is reasonably ahead of his range. A fourth spade won't land often enough for him to make a flush with JsJx or AsXx.

There's a chance he's got AsAx here and is free rolling a flush on you, but you're giving up equity against the rest of his range by not calling the turn.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:54 AM

You need to raise flop more. Not being committed on the turn you could check behind turn and call a non-paired/spade river, but if you are going to bet I'd get it all in on the turn because while this could be a freeroll for him, it also could be a set and we don't want to be putting money in on the river dead.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:09 AM

Yeah, you defiantly didn't bet big enough on the flop. There are still a lot of scare cards out there that you don't want to see. If you want to lead out, go for a pot sized bet. But because he re-raised you PF, it's pretty fair to assume he's hit that flop pretty good, or he has AA. So I think I'm going for a big check raise here. He's going to be betting into you on the flop most of the time, which allows you to pop him good with a check raise. This is good because it lets you put a ton of pressure on him, and it gets a lot of money into the pot when you know you have the best of it.

The turn was the worst card you could have seen. I don’t think your going to win this pot very often, or in the best circumstances he has a set and he's still got outs to fill up, and in the worst cases he's free-rolling with the A of spades. Unless he's already made his flush, but that doesn't seem very likely given his pre-flop re-raise. However there’s too much money for you to fold I think.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:11 AM

You must must must bet that flop with more substance so that you can push most turns.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You must must must bet that flop with more substance so that you can push most turns.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this based on the "big hands big pots" principle? Are we trying to find a way to get all of the money in? $13 on the flop and the rest on the turn?
Old 08-09-2007, 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this based on the "big hands big pots" principle? Are we trying to find a way to get all of the money in? $13 on the flop and the rest on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. There's alot of scare cards on the board. For him and for us so we want to take a path where we can get it in on the turn if we choose to and so we have to bet bigger on the flop.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I knew that my major mistake in the hand was not betting more on the flop. It would have made the turn decision much simpler.

My had range that I stoved was AA-TT AKs,o AQs

I am ahead of all pocket pairs, splitting with any ace and getting freerolled if villain has the As, Js, Ts.

I don't know, the turn check raise just totally froze me. I've been beating myself up about it since yesterday, but I folded. (Yes I know it was horrible)

+EV
Old 08-09-2007, 09:18 AM

i would go further than to say bet more on the flop. i would actually overbet the flop, because we're so likely to get action here versus a typical 3bet range, in addition to protecting our hand. i'd bet like 20 bux and force this guy to move in or get out.