Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 01:17 PM

Default Re: Devastating Seinfeld News

[ QUOTE ]
It really surprises me when I hear people hate on Seinfeld. I can understand if it is not your cup of tea, but it is hard to not recognize how revolutionary it was. The concept of fusing unrelated and common day, yet hilarious, story lines into a single climax had hardly ever been seen. The writing was remarkable throughout the vast majority of the seasons.

Though I believe AD is the best sitcom of all time, it clearly would never have happened without Seinfeld.

...fwiw
1. AD
2. Seinfeld
3. UK Office
4. Cheers
5. MASH
6. US Office (assuming level of excellency is maintained)
1647. Friends (fans should not vote, breed or be protected by the freedoms guaranteed in the Bill of Rights)

[/ QUOTE ]

AD was only good for just shy of two full seasons. Starting with the last two episodes of Season 2 and throughout Season 3 the show was almost unwatchable. Had it maintained a Season 1 level of awesomeness throughout its run I'd put it at the top.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You guys remember the "puerto rican day parade" that was pulled from tv after airing?
I'm only 20 so my recollection of the early years is a little fuzzy. I just d/l it and i dont see why it was pulled.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the ONE episode I had never seen until about 3 yrs ago. They had it pulled for the flag burning incident. It was one of the very last episodes, about midway through the final season. As I recall they aired it originally and then NBC never re-ran it. It wasn't in syndication for years. THen I finally saw it on TBS a few years ago. I've seen it once since then but it appears to be gone again.

Anyone remember them pulling the one where Susan died? They pulled it because of the poisoned envelopes right around the time of the anthrax scare, post 911. Thankfully it's back on again.

I love Seinfeld. I catch a few episodes every week still.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw that episode when it aired originally. I'm almost certain it is the next-to-last episode of the series.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

AD was only good for just shy of two full seasons. Starting with the last two episodes of Season 2 and throughout Season 3 the show was almost unwatchable. Had it maintained a Season 1 level of awesomeness throughout its run I'd put it at the top.

[/ QUOTE ]

man people have no taste, even with rad racer avatars

For British Eyes Only? Mr. F? A neighborhood called Wee Britain? Yeah, Charlize Theron as retarded was kind of lame, but the rest of the show was great.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

This friend of mine and I constantly reference/discuss/make analogies to Seinfeld eps.

[/ QUOTE ]

arrrgh. Just save anyone else that has to be around you guys the agony and kill them now.

[/ QUOTE ]
For some reason I find this comment to be absolutely hilarious.

EDIT: not even too much of a fan, but the flag ep was definitely the 2nd or 3rd to last ep of the run (the one where George takes a book into the bathroom at B&N being the other). I saw it a long time ago on syndication, so it's possible you guys just keep missing it when it cycles through. It was one of those post-Larry David episodes that I thought was quite unfunny.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

man people have no taste, even with rad racer avatars

For British Eyes Only? Mr. F? A neighborhood called Wee Britain? Yeah, Charlize Theron as retarded was kind of lame, but the rest of the show was great.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'll admit I haven't seen every episode of Season 3, so there may be a few gems I missed. I did catch like 6 episodes in a row on G4 a few weeks ago, and they all seemed pretty sucky.

Edit: I'll probably catch hell for not having seen all of Season 3, but the only reason for that is the ones I saw were so painfully bad that I saw no point in working my way through the rest.

All the jokes in the episodes I saw fell flat or were lame references to jokes that were funny in Season 1. It's like the writers forgot how to be funny, so they decided to keep reminding viewers how good the show used to be and hoped it would pass.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:53 PM

There are actually a ton of Seinfeld episodes I've never seen, and I'm [censored] pleased as punch about it. I've only done the first 3 seasons so far on DVD. Obviously I've seen a lot of the remaining 6 seasons, but there are dozens that I have not, possibly over 50. I brag about this to people whenever I get the chance.

I also had a dream just a few hours ago (before having seen this thread) that they went back to it and started making a season 10.