Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help

Old 04-11-2007, 06:16 PM

Default Monitor / Graphics Card Question

I have an old GeForce 4 MX (I thought it was a GeForce 2 MX, but I think it's 4; any way to confirm this?) laying around. It was in my old computer; I bought my new computer about five months ago but never bought a real graphics card to go with it. I am looking to buy a new 20" LCD 1600x1200 monitor, and heard I need at least a decent graphics card -- something better than a integrated one. Assuming the old GeForce one to be a solution, I installed it in my new computer.

The problem is my monitor won't show up on it. I plug my monitor into the graphics card, but I only see something while the computer's starting up. So I'll see Windows XP loading up and that black Windows XP sign, with the loading symbol, and then when it loads up to the actual Windows, th monitor goes out, and only my other integrated graphics card shows up.

Am I doing something wrong here? I installed drivers for both GeForce 2 and 4, but they may or may not be the right drivers; either way, I've installed a lot of drivers and nothing's worked. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:21 PM

Default Re: Monitor / Graphics Card Question

I think you need to uninstall the integrated graphics card or shut it off. You should be able to disable it in Device Manager.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:04 PM

Disable the integrated graphics in device manager (right click my computer---mangee---device manager)and reboot with the monitor plugged into the GeForce. Make sure the Geforce is showing up as installed properly in device manager. Let us know how that works.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have an old GeForce 4 MX (I thought it was a GeForce 2 MX, but I think it's 4; any way to confirm this?) laying around. It was in my old computer; I bought my new computer about five months ago but never bought a real graphics card to go with it. I am looking to buy a new 20" LCD 1600x1200 monitor, and heard I need at least a decent graphics card -- something better than a integrated one.

[/ QUOTE ]

How recent is your computer? Unless it's more than like 5 years old, the integrated graphics should have no trouble at all with 1600x1200. If you're not doing any 3D work, this should be fine. If you are doing 3D work, the integrated adapter is probably still better than a GeForce 4 MX anyway.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:22 PM

I'm late on this but I wanted to say thanks for helping me fix the problem =)

FTR my comp is 6 months old