Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2006, 06:29 PM

Default Reraising light in shorthanded omaha

I havent played much omaha but am interested in learning. Ive noticed in the games I play there is tons of preflop raising (pretty much every pot). Now in holdem when players are playing like this we 3bet light a lot of the time...then cbet the flop and we will usually win either preflop or on the flop. Is there any merit to this in omaha?

In holdem doing this OOP is ok as well, since people fold a lot preflop or on the flop. In omaha however nobody folds to a 3bet preflop (again maybe its just my small sample), so 3betting light OOP or even 3betting OOP at all seems like a way to burn thru your chips.

In position however, you are often building big pots with position against players who wont have a premium hand a lot of times (since as i said before noone is folding preflop it seems).

Also, any merit to squeezing preflop in omaha? I played with a player who was squeezing fairly frequently last nite and he seemed to be doing ok..maybe running hot (he was super LAG so it was hard to tell)

Anyways I dunno just some thoughts..sorry about my rambling convoluted posting style [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-Mike
Old 11-05-2006, 02:04 AM

Default Re: Reraising light in shorthanded omaha

3 Betting can be a useful tool but I rarely if ever 3 bet lightly playing shorthanded omaha. Unless u have a really good read on a player being extremely tight, it will generally get u in trouble esp. when ur c-betting flops you have completely missed or are loaded with broadway cards. I will 3 bet with AAXX ussually if I can get a large chunk of my stack in preflop, but I wont if im in bad position and cant get enough in to thin the feild. In later position against agressive players I will 3 bet strong drawing hands KQJT ds. etc... but this is also highly dependent on ur read, since there are some omaha players that only raise with AA you generally want to be careful 3 betting with marginal holdings because if someone does hold AAXX they will likely repop. Also what stakes do u play, because at a lower stakes game it is impossible to get people to fold preflop.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:34 AM

basically mike, the problem is hand vs hand equities run so much different than nlhe that it's harder to make your opponent think he's in a bad enough spot to fold.

that's entirely too obvious, though, and I dunno what else to say.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:39 AM

mike,

bad hands in omaha are like 45% to win against the best hands. that's why you can raise any and all hands in position. big pots with position are cool
Old 11-14-2006, 06:04 AM

hypothetical situation which i may have actually done in real life

i'm playing 25 50 and i'm on the button with 6789ds. an aggressive raiser makes it 175 in the CO. I repot it.

good? bad? occassionally good? standard?

stinger seems to 1/2 pot 3bet at times when i play with him. what are thoughts on this? no one is folding any way, seems like it might give you the ability to take control of the hand while keeping the pot reasonably under control in position
Old 11-14-2006, 05:38 PM

Very very standard. How often you do it should depend on how your opponents are reacting to it. Generally if I am 3betting prefop often and my opponents are going nuts on the flop I will pull back a little bit and catch'em pushing light before they adjust.

As for the minraise 3bet it's not a tactic that I employ but as you said, it can give you the lead HU and win a lot of pots on the flop against tight post flop players.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:30 PM

sweet

you regulars must be pretty stoked at all us NL donkeys "learning" the game at 25 50