Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2006, 10:35 AM

Default Heartland Poker Tour Players

I'm looking to hear from anybody who has played in these events. Their strategy of having 4 qualifying tournaments with the top 20% of each one getting a seat in the final is interesting to say the least.

Anybody play in these? How was the blind structure? Did you just pay the $330 for the "main event qualifier" or did you try to get in via 1 table sng's?

The play on the few shows I have seen appears to borderline awful.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:53 AM

Default Re: Heartland Poker Tour Players

I played in the event last year in Thief River Falls. I found the play to be fairly mediocre. I didn't mind the qualifier system, as it got more relatively dead money into the prize pool (some mediocre players paid for 2 or 3 qualifiers to try and get through). Also, having the top 20% get through was good also, as you did not have to get too lucky to make it. Also, many people were not playing a correct satellite strategy (which is what the qualifiers are). I would guess that a good player could get through one of these qualifiers 35-40% of the time.

The blind structure isn't bad the first 2 hours (30 minute levels) as you are relatively deep. After that the antes kick in and you have to either get aggressive or wake up with some hands as the stacks are relatively shallow.

I did enjoy the tournament and was able to find some nice overlays. I made it through the qualifier, and was unlucky early the final day, losing an allin preflop with QQ to AQ.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Heartland Poker Tour Players

I think that calling the play in these events "Borderline Awful" is a huge understatement. I have played in two of these events and qualified on my first try both times. If you know how to play proper strategy you will make it through at least 40% of the time.

The overlay in these events is huge but it does become a huge crapshoot at the end of the events.