Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2007, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Your Biggest Jumps in Income

[ QUOTE ]

Gone are the days of company-employee loyalty. It's amazing to fathom that lifetime employment with a company was almost the norm not too long ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. Anyone care to comment why this is? My understanding of it is employee loyalty went out the window when the first mass layoffs of the 80s began (with companies like IBM, etc.).
Old 06-21-2007, 01:39 PM

*sigh*

I work in advertising, too. I actually took a pay cut from my college internship to the position I work in now. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-21-2007, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
*sigh*

I work in advertising, too. I actually took a pay cut from my college internship to the position I work in now. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

My first job out of college was Assistant Media Planner. I think it was $25K+OT. My first promotion was to Media Planner...$30K, no OT. I was making more before the promotion because there's so much OT in this industry. There's money here, the first few years just suck though.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:49 PM

About 3.5 years into my career, I took a ~30% pay CUT to change jobs within my company. This was moving from a non-exempt position (where overtime was plentiful) to an exempt position.

7.5 years later I am making 3x that (6 years at a diff company).. so a good decision IMO.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
*sigh*

[/ QUOTE ]

My first job out of college was Assistant Media Planner. I think it was $25K+OT. My first promotion was to Media Planner...$30K, no OT. I was making more before the promotion because there's so much OT in this industry. There's money here, the first few years just suck though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, I hope you're right. If not for poker, I would likely be living paycheck to paycheck. I'm due for a promotion in 3 months, so that will be a decent pay raise.

Look at the bright side, though. Media buying is the fun part of advertising. You get to have vendors take you out to nice dinners and ballgames. I, on the other hand, work in account management, aka the client's bitch.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:52 PM

In the last three years:

14% once, 13% twice, and 11% once (two promotions in there)
Old 06-21-2007, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
*sigh*

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, I hope you're right. If not for poker, I would likely be living paycheck to paycheck. I'm due for a promotion in 3 months, so that will be a decent pay raise.

Look at the bright side, though. Media buying is the fun part of advertising. You get to have vendors take you out to nice dinners and ballgames. I, on the other hand, work in account management, aka the client's bitch.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's true. I've sat in luxury suites for every team in SoCal, plus been to numerous concerts. There are perks all over the place here.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
*sigh*

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's true. I've sat in luxury suites for every team in SoCal, plus been to numerous concerts. There are perks all over the place here.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a big-time media director now, right? Hire me, please. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

I have a friend in the media buying department at my agency, and he said he'll hook me up with good seats at MSG next year. So I guess I've got that to look forward to...
Old 06-21-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what exactly is your position in the advertising world? it can be quite the lucrative industry.

i went from making $20/hr at a small design firm as a designer, to going out on my own and making between $45/hr - $75/hr. this is all dependent on if you can find the steady work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Media planning. It's where the money is spent, but typically not where the money is made. My new title will be Assistant Media Director. Considering how few years I have been working, I'm flying through this industry. I'm averaging more than a promotion a year. I feel like I am luckboxing my way through as I'm passing up people that have been working longer than me through timely job changes.

EDIT: Also I have heard that freelancing does pay really well in advertising. I know people who've taken $125/hr freelance jobs. The problem is keeping the work coming at you steady. But, if you could work 6 months at twice what you'd be making in a year, freelancing is a great option.

[/ QUOTE ]

yah, this is pretty much what i was doing 2 years ago. making a buttload for a month or so, then take it easy for a couple months. i miss those days.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:07 PM

For my whole life up until last year I never made more than $15 an hour in various industries, loan processing, pizza delivery, food server, cashier. Since then I have been steady making $30+ an hour bartending.