Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2007, 09:30 PM

Default Re: the well: KRANTZ

[ QUOTE ]
Any advice from SSNL?

Is there any leaks that you see a lot of SSNL'ers have?

What stakes you currently play?

Want to give a background story?

Any hands you want to share? Be it a nice bluff you pulled off? A sick call? Biggest Pot?

Did you have any "aha" moments where everything just started to click?

Wanna post some Pt stats? Graphs?

Do you play for a living? Going to school?

[/ QUOTE ]

leaks: too many calling stations. you want to be the one raising or betting in most situations. for example, think about many of the tougher hands you've played in the past week - i bet you a majority of them are you trying to figure out whether you're picking off a bluff or he's betting a worse hand and you should c/c all-in. also, playing too loose from the blinds without initiative. and relying too much on the strength of your hand without thinking about what your opponent can have and how he would play both better and worse hands.

biggest pot i've played recently:

FullTiltPoker Game #1232072159: Table Canfield (6 max) - $200/$400 - No Limit Hold'em - 21:04:32 ET - 2006/11/11
Seat 1: Ozzy 87 ($193,714.50)
Seat 2: sbrugby ($46,241)
Seat 3: durrrr ($47,685)
Seat 4: David Benyamine ($16,597)
Seat 5: pr1nnyraid ($20,994)
Ozzy 87 posts the small blind of $200
sbrugby posts the big blind of $400
The button is in seat #5
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to pr1nnyraid [Tc 9c]
Stacks987 (Observer): lol
durrrr folds
Stacks987 (Observer): Kanye South
David Benyamine folds
Stacks987 (Observer): KanyeWest
pr1nnyraid raises to $1,400
Ozzy 87 calls $1,200
sbrugby folds
*** FLOP *** [9d Kh 4h]
Ozzy 87 checks
pr1nnyraid checks
*** TURN *** [9d Kh 4h] [4d]
Ozzy 87 bets $3,200
jamman28 (Observer): i get it
72dolphin (Observer): come up with some names dont they lmao
jamman28 (Observer): different direction
Stacks987 (Observer): lol
pr1nnyraid calls $3,200
*** RIVER *** [9d Kh 4h 4d] [7c]
Ozzy 87 has 15 seconds left to act
willw9 (Observer): you up tonight benyamine
Ozzy 87 bets $7,200
jamman28 (Observer): kids today
MONEYSUNSHINE (Observer): call
pr1nnyraid has 15 seconds left to act
pr1nnyraid calls $7,200
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Ozzy 87 shows [Js Ac] (a pair of Fours)
pr1nnyraid shows [Tc 9c] (two pair, Nines and Fours)
pr1nnyraid wins the pot ($23,997) with two pair, Nines and Fours
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $24,000 | Rake $3

ahah moments: way back when on party poker i remember i had 2 barreled the flop and turn with ace high on a very drawy board, the river blanked and i checked intending on giving up. my opponent shoved and i thought for awhile and realized that the only hand he could really play like that was one of the missed draws. so i called the huge AI and won. i equate that moment to the part at the end of Matrix 1 where Neo sees the code. i think after that hand i realized NL is a lot more about things like position, ranges and game flow than it is about your cards.

i play and coach for a living (and help run/work on expanding 3-bet.net). i graduated Boston University last year with a major in screenwriting, but admittedly my writing has taken a backseat to poker this year. i still try to write as much as possible, but i'm not ready to move to LA just yet (i live in NYC now).
Old 03-03-2007, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think about the current state of cash games and how to best beat them?

[/ QUOTE ]

i started a thread in MSNL a few weeks ago that you should check out. i'm a big advocate of table selection these days (and i mean GOOD table selection, like choosing not to play even if you want to when the tables really suck).
Old 03-03-2007, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
vpip/pfr/AF?

[/ QUOTE ]

some days 30/20, others 19/15. i usually don't go any higher or lower than those and i'm very comfortable playing both styles.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:32 PM

I think "poker story" generally means your story - how you got started in poker, how you improved and got to where you are now. Cool story about jsnipes though, more stories about drunk 2+2ers in Vegas would be appreciated.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:33 PM

Some simple small pot questions.

1) Say EP/MP limps (bad player) and it folds to you in the BB and you check. How often do you lead flop with air and with what hands? What kind of board is best for this?

2) Folds to SB who completes, you check in BB. How often do you bet flop with air after SB checks? What type of hands do you bet? What boards are best again?
Old 03-03-2007, 09:34 PM

Awesome, looking forward to this.

Assuming that one game can be beaten for say 10ptbb (say Party 200nl pre-legislation) long term, what style (vpip/pfr for example) would net the biggest winrate? Hero is a very good player capable of playing 15/10 - 30/25.

The reaosn I ask, is that people say that NL cash is all about postflop. Do you agree? Would your winrate take a drastic hit if you had to play 5-10% less hands or vice versa?

Who are the toughest players you have played against? What makes them so tough?
Old 03-03-2007, 09:34 PM

[post deleted by ajmargarine]

(stop being a troll, tx.)
Old 03-03-2007, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a hand i played recently. obviously just cold its not pretty.
under what hero-villian dynamics would you feel comfortable with this.

whats your line postflop if you dont 3-bet preflop?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">Button ($714.12)</font>
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($398)</font>
BB ($552.90)
UTG ($407)
MP ($649.40)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $16</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $46</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $32.

Flop: ($100) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $68</font>, Button calls $68.

Turn: ($236) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button calls $714.12 (All-In), Hero calls $396 (All-In).

[/ QUOTE ]

he'd have to be a complete maniac for me to play TT like this. bluffing at any opportunity, or REALLY believing that you were FOS because you 3-bet him every single time he opens. against some players, 3-betting pre is bad, against others, it's fine, against others, it's mandatory.

against most sane players, though, i'd just c/f the turn.

that's a point i wanted to make (not necessarily related to this hand): many, many players underestimate what "history" is. there are some players who will overadjust to you based on previous actions. others will wait and wait for a hand. just because you've been speeding and acting crazy, it doesn't mean that every single player will react to you the same way. so be careful. there are spots where people will show me hands where they go broke with QQ and say "cooler, right?" well yeah, some of the time it is. but there are definitely times where you can fold big hands. it's a bad habit to just chalk everything up to setups and 'running bad'. if you can make good folds when you're 'running bad' then that makes you incredibly dangerous when you're 'running well'
Old 03-03-2007, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When you were moving up in limits was there a particular limit you just had problems with ? I.e being stuck at it for a long time and couldn't get over the hump. If so what eventually made the "big difference" to being able to beat it/move up. That is if you did.

What are the three single most important things you learned that you think make you a good winning player as opposed to an average or break even player ?

[/ QUOTE ]

i had pretty bad bankroll management when i first got started, shooting back and forth until i finally hit a groove, so i'm not the best authority on the subject. and the old HSNL games were insanely soft so i never really had a fear of moving up (and if i lost a lot i could move down and rebuild in a short time). but from talking with and coaching a ton of people, my advice to 'breaking in' would be to play very, very TAG on 1/2 the number of tables you normally play at your regular limit. that will help reduce variance and make your reads better.

3 most important things: i have no fear of getting or calling all-in with any two cards. so i really, really trust my reads.

when those reads don't work out, i adjust :-) for instance, i shove into the nuts or try to make a huge heroic call that is just a donkey play. move on, right? yes and no. i'm always thinking about what my opponent thinks of me after that play and how to use that to my advantage.

not playing when i'm tilting. if everyone could play without tilt the games would be totally dead. (and i'm nowhere close to perfect in this respect).
Old 03-03-2007, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Krantz,
much respect, yo.

i guess mines a suggestion moreso than a question, but why dont you and all the coaches from your site hold some sort of charity tournament sort of thing? it would be for a good cause, get your site some publicity, and be entertaining.

just a thought

do you think you will be playing online poker in 2008? why or why not? (i.e. personal choice or because of legislation, etc.)

[/ QUOTE ]

that's a great suggestion, and i'm actually working on a lot of cool things to unroll for 3-bet as the WSOP approaches. hadn't thought of a charity tournament, but that's an awesome idea and i'm writing it down right now.

online poker in 2008: no idea. i have absolutely no clue what i'm doing this summer, or in the fall... have thought about staying in NYC, or moving to LA and getting serious about my writing career, or even moving to new zealand with a buddy who's going back to film school there (PARTY POKER!!)