Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2006, 02:03 PM

Default FILM REVIEW: Naked

I dedicate this review to [censored], wherever he is.

NAKED

There's no easy way to tell you about this one if you've not seen it or heard of it. I know for sure, unless I wrote a book about it, I won't be doing it justice. So read this, and be aware this review is woefully inadequate. I'd say pretty much any review of it will be!

Naked begins with some back-alley sex, that as we zoom closer, starts to get rougher. The woman protests, but it stays rough, and he's hurting her. Now, the guy turns out to be the 'hero' of this movie, Johnny, and he's now on the run. He steals a car, and heads for London. And here begins this story. Here, he visits an old friend, then wanders the streets of London, encountering all sorts of people, till finally, battered and bruised he returns....

At first glance, Johnny appears to be a hating, soulless though clever drifter. As the film progresses and he has his walkabout, while never really changing superficially, we start getting a feel for the real Johnny. There's a soul in there, and there's compassion and a need to communicate. We see the vulnerable side of him, the understanding side, even before and after more unnecessarily rough sex. He's not someone who's shiftless and bored, he says himself he's never bored - what he is is someone cursed with a fierce and burning intelligence, who seems to need to hurt women - not sure why, maybe he hates himself, maybe he despises them for actually liking him, maybe he wants to see how far he can take things....

The supporting cast here is great (and frankly, despite it being an ensemble they are all support to Johnny), as is the dialogue and the construction and acting, with perhaps the exception of Jeremy G, a posh figure - obviously sadistic - whose scenes intersect this film unexpectedly. First time I watched, I found them jarring, second time, they seemed completely in place... and this, readers, is one of the few films I've sat and watched again right after the first viewing... And the end was moving in a way few films can move you (I don't wish to spoil it).

Okay, lots going on, but still one thing I haven't mentioned. Johnny is played by David Thewlis. I think his most famous role is in Harry Potter 3, as Professor Lupin (where his and Gary Oldman's presence elevated the film to the best of the series by far, IMHO), and in Gangster No.1 as head gangster Freddy Mays. But if that's all you've seen of him, Naked will stun you. How the character opens up to the different characters he meets, and reveals to us more and more about himself as he interacts with them, is a truly masterful piece of acting. His portayal of Johnny in this film is possibly the finest acting ever to be put to celluloid - it's that good!

The more you watch the film, the more you feel for Johnny, and it's tiny nuances of movement and expression convey so much about this superficially-unlikeable man.

I urge you to see this if you are not adverse to quite thoughtful and quite shocking films. Devid Thewlis is simply one of the best actors you've ever see.

OVERALL: 4.5
REWATCHABILITY: up to 2/3 times a year. Adults only.

RATINGS (out of 5):
0 - This is a complete waste of time, and you will regret wasting it
1 - don't bother unless no other options at all
2 - okay for a single watch, if you've got time
3 - Definite watch if you get a chance
4 - See it very soon, at least once before you die
5 - See it immediately, no excuses

Previous Reviews in: OOT Film/TV/DVD Repository

PS. This is an English film with quite thick regional accents, so be prepared to watch with subtitles if you're not from the UK
Old 01-13-2006, 05:12 PM

Default Re: FILM REVIEW: Naked

Bumping cos it took bloody ages to write.

Oh, and there's lots of angry/rough sex in it.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:19 PM

I'll give it a shot, before Diabolique, after the few movies from Dominic's fav. list I haven't seen [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-13-2006, 07:13 PM

You'll like it.

And Diabolique.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:18 PM

I loved Naked; and, it's funny, too--in an odd sort of way.