Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2006, 03:14 AM

Default Re: $31 or $131

[ QUOTE ]
It's a place I really only go 2 or 3 times a year because they have the satellite package which carries my alma mater's hockey games.

I saw the $31 and pointed it out the waitress. She came back with another credit card receipt for $100, so I thought she was cutting us a break for pointing out the error. Then 2 seconds later I realized that was in addition to the original receipt.

Kinda sucked to point it out and not have it recognized in anyway. Oh well. Hopefully karma will bring it back to me one day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it sucked. But you did the right thing. For all you know the owner might have docked the waitress for the mistake, and that would suck.

Anyway, that doesn't matter cause you paid what you owed.

We all hope people don't screw us when we mess up, so it's only fair to do the right thing at times like this.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a place I really only go 2 or 3 times a year because they have the satellite package which carries my alma mater's hockey games.

I saw the $31 and pointed it out the waitress. She came back with another credit card receipt for $100, so I thought she was cutting us a break for pointing out the error. Then 2 seconds later I realized that was in addition to the original receipt.

Kinda sucked to point it out and not have it recognized in anyway. Oh well. Hopefully karma will bring it back to me one day.

[/ QUOTE ]

you did the right thing. the reason it's right is not because you get a cookie from the waitress.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You organize a get-together at a sports bar to watch a college sporting event...~150 people the bar would never have there on Friday night.

The owner brings you a beer on the house during the night to show his thanks.

Your group of 4 runs up a tab of $131.

The waitress brings you a credit card slip to sign that says $31.

Sign and leave or say something?

[/ QUOTE ]

What was the owner like? Was he a nice guy trying to run a bar where people could have a good time along with him making a good profit as well?

Or was he a guy where you were a little offended by his "generosity" of giving you one free beer for all the business you brought him for the night? If it were me, I would rather he not given me attention at all, rather than giving me a free pint.

In my mind, a "sports bar" is a decent-sized place that brings in a lot of clientele on a regular basis, but the way you talk indactes that a genuinely nice guy runs the place, it's not that big, and that he gave you the beer as a sincere gesture of appreciation.

In that case, I'd correct the mistake and pay up no problem. If it were a Scores or something, F-em.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's pretty much why I did it. He's a good guy, loves when we come there for the televised games, loves how raucous we get, loves the spirit. And it packs the place. And we have a "home" to watch our games. (It's Cornell hockey by the way...who knows, some folks on here may have even been there tonight at Ship of Fools). He sets out extra tables and chairs, puts nearly all the TV's on our game -- everything's very accommodating. So it's a win-win.

He definitely falls into the first category of being a nice guy. Last year when our NCAA quarterfinal game wasn't coming on TV at the expected time, he (after probably being told by a Cornell fan) went around to nearly every table to explain that the game was being delayed slightly because the previous one was running over. And tonight, at first I thought he was just bringing me another beer because the waitress was so busy, until I realized it was on the house as a simple token of appreciation.

Ok. Enough rambling. Just wanted to see the poll results. I'm surprised it was so close, although without context it may be more ambigious. I guess given all that I just said, I really didn't have to think twice about correcting the mistake.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:46 AM

This is really simple, if you plan on going back to this place you pay the full price and a good tip, if you don't you pay the price they gave you plus a good tip and never come back again.

Edit: also only try and screw him if you're paying with cash
Old 11-11-2006, 04:39 AM

Jordan, if you organize these events you should definitely start talking to the bartender. Try to get some deals or some sort of kick back. You have to be spending some amount of time/energy organizing it, and he is reaping the benefits of your hard work. Make it more regular(2 times a month?) and then talk to the guy. Get some free [censored] for a reason.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:34 AM

Is it worth a measley $100 to screw someone for a mistake on the bill? I don't get people.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:44 AM

I guess I lack morals, because the thought of mentioning that my bill lacked 100$ would never cross my mind.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I lack morals, because the thought of mentioning that my bill lacked 100$ would never cross my mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't sweat it, they would just add it to your credit card anyway.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:54 AM

Pay up, and it's not even close.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:37 AM

Paying full price for drinks at a bar is a sucker move for people that can't bring customers into a bar. Tip well, and continue paying close to nothing for booze. Enjoy your new arrangment with the bar.