Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 11:52 AM

Default How do you handle this?

I notice this a lot in lower limit games especially when people are having fun and not taking the game seriously:

-A player shows his neighbor his cards then finally mucks.

-A player comments/speculates on hand in a multiway pot.

-String betting.

-And other rules or ethical violations.

When I comment to a player about what they are doing is wrong, I usually always get a defensive response and now I look like the "serious guy" and then people view me as an ahole.

If I tell the dealer, then others may still overhear me and I still look like a nit.

If I tell a floor person, they may or may not do anything and I again it still may come back on me.

I kinda feel like one kid telling on his sibling, but on the other hand why should someone get free information and I don't get the same information?

It's not fair to everyone else.

What's the best approach without looking like a dick?
Old 11-14-2007, 11:59 AM

Default Re: How do you handle this?

I just let it go. I would say something if I thought it was hurting me money-wise. I think it's more +EV to appear to be one of the ones having fun and messing around than to appear to be a serious poker player.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:00 PM

A player shows his neighbor his cards then finally mucks.

I will always request to see a hand if its pretty clear he showed one of his neighbors his whole cards before he mucked. If that person chimes in at all then i'll tell him what i tell everyone: if you don't want me to see your cards then dont show your neighbors. Its simple, show one show all. I won't ever request to see a hand at showdown if the person doesnt want to show.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:10 PM

I think of things like this as costs of doing business. I'm going to be taking their money, I'd rather have my customers enjoy themselves while I'm doing this. If you nit the game up, you tend to drive away the people who just want to have fun and don't care about the money.

Personally I don't say anything about minor violations, especially when I want the violator at my game. It used to bother me, but it doesn't anymore.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:22 PM

If it bothers you, please try to discreetly tell the dealer. S/he may not react, but then again, s/he may be glad to have an ally.

I'm curious how others feel about people talking about hands or the board. As a dealer, I try to curb it best I can, but I can't tackle every time, so I look for the more egregious violations, or someone consistently talking. Usually people say, "oh, sorry," and I smile and say it's ok.

It's those who fight back that bug me, because it puts me in a double-bind. They won't get kicked out or even dealt out of a hand because of it. All they get is the floor coming over and wagging a finger and telling them that if they do it again, they're due for another finger-wagging. But obviously I can't let somebody blatantly violate a rule and then get away with yelling at me about it, either. So that's why I try to handle it delicately.

By and large the player is right, it's not a problem and it's not affecting anything. But what I usually say to diffuse it, as friendly as I can, is, "yeah, it's usually not a problem until it's problem, then it's a HUGE problem... you'll understand if it ever affects a pot you're in." That lets them know I'm looking out for everybody, and is more explanatory than disciplinary.

Regarding string-betting, check the rules in your room. I am not to correct a string bet unless a player brings it up first.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:41 PM

First one, ignore.

Second one, make your point with a smile and a joke. Something like, "Hey..you're not in the hand. What are you trying to do? Knock Gabe Kaplan out of a job?"

Third one, make your point with a smile and a joke. Something like, "You're lucky the flop hit me. If I had a weak draw I'd call a string bet on you in a heartbeat."

Bottom line is, it's a poker game, get your point across in a lighthearted manner if the game is tough and it really bothers you. If it doesn't work, que sera sera. If the game is profitable, dummy up and realize you're being smart about it.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A player shows his neighbor his cards then finally mucks.

I will always request to see a hand if its pretty clear he showed one of his neighbors his whole cards before he mucked. If that person chimes in at all then i'll tell him what i tell everyone: if you don't want me to see your cards then dont show your neighbors. Its simple, show one show all. I won't ever request to see a hand at showdown if the person doesnt want to show.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty classless. Why be that guy? A lot of fish play poker for the "community" of it. They want people's attention and sympathy. Let them have it. It's not like it is hurting you if you can't see their hand when they muck. If you want them to show you their hand too, this isn't the way to go about doing it.

Look, you too can get a fish sitting next to you who will want your sympathy from time to time. Give it to them. Maybe they will share their hole cards with you every once in a while and you'll get some free info.

Personally, I really don't care. As long as the fish are happy that's fine with me. I'll watch like a hawk for any info I can pick up, but there is no need to gain the ire of the other players by acting like a prick.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:01 PM

As for string-betting - if you're not in the hand, it isn't your place to say anything. If another player says something, please, back them up if you also saw the string bet. If you are in the hand, it is perfectly alright to selectively choose which times to call them on the rule. The dealer should be the one catching them, but they usually don't say anything. If the string bet is going to be to your benefit, it is ok to let it go. If it isn't, "That's a string bet." Tell the dealer, not the player. The dealer saw it too, but he hates being a nit so will only do something if you say something, but if you say something, he will spring into action. Address the dealer, not the player.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A player comments/speculates on hand in a multiway pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Recognize that this rarely matters. People aren't THAT stupid, they understand the possible hands that are out there. Still, you don't really want their thought process to be aiding your opponent. After the hand is done, politely and respectfully point out to the player what they have done and ask them not to.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:12 PM

In general, just use basic human relations skills. As in life, people will do things that are "wrong". You don't always have to say something about it. Use your judgment to determine the times you should say something about vs. just letting it slide. When you do say something about it, do so with respect. In poker, using EV as your guide is often wise. You can allow -EV violations to occur and not say anything. I think a guy showing his hole cards to his neighbor who is not in the hand before mucking is one such situation. Another for me was a brief dispute over what happened to my $1 SB after there were button shenanigans. My $1 got accedently snatched by someone. Another player at the table was even aware of this. I could see it wasn't worth arguing about, so after a brief, "what happened to my dollar?" I shrugged my shoulders and tossed another chip in. The game was going smoothly, all the players were happy - no need to ruin that by trying to discover where my freaking dollar went.