Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 09:08 PM

Default Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion thread (SPOILERS)

[ QUOTE ]
There are a few things that have been bothering me since I finished the book.
I will start with the first. We find out Snape was actually loyal to DD and he was remorseful for what he did. However, was he? In the pensive it seemed he only cared for Lily and no one else. Isn't that just being extremely covetous and selfish?
But anyway he has been helping Harry the whole time. But then explain the final fight scene in HBP. He is yelling at Harry and hurting him, because Harry called him a coward. And from the writing in the book it seems he was really hurting harry, losing control, and definitely going to kill Harry until Buckbeak showed up.
So what is your take? He walked a narrow line between hate and love with Harry? Was it all an act? What was the point of not telling Harry Snape was an ally? Their occulemncy lessons were a disaster. Snape argued with everyone in the order, but never betrayed them. I just dont get it. He was helping those who loathed him. Even if he survived the final battle of Hogwarts who would he have loved with? He never would have fit in with the "good" guys. Something doesnt seem to fit for me. What am I missing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Snape still did not like Harry because he reminded him of James who he utterly detested ever since they were in school. However, he was willing to protect him and help him because he didn't want Lily to die in vain. He never got over Lily's death and wanted to avenge her and grant her last wish (which was relayed through Voldemort) that Harry be saved. He couldn't tell Harry because Harry would likely not believe him in any of the earlier books and he didn't want to treat him like Malfoy or anything because he still detested the parts of Harry that were like James. Also, Dumbledore had told him not to give his memory to Harry until Voldemort seemed scared and protective of Nagini. He never aimed to kill Harry at the end of HBP and only defended himself for the most part against the spells that he had once created. Furthermore, he protected Harry from several of the other death eaters' curses in this scene saying that he was to be left for Voldemort. Snape was also fleeing alongside other death eaters so he couldn't have even attempted to explain anything to Harry, not that it would have gone over well.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:17 PM

I thought it was stupid how Harry didnt kill Voldy w/ AK (the killing curse). Would have been way more badass.

I thought the Battle at Hogwarts -> End (150ish pages) was all pretty sweet.

Epilogue was the most enjoyable part for me, I liked it.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:20 PM

Battle of Hogwarts might have been the best chapter in any book ever!!
Old 07-23-2007, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought it was stupid how Harry didnt kill Voldy w/ AK (the killing curse). Would have been way more badass.

I thought the Battle at Hogwarts -> End (150ish pages) was all pretty sweet.

Epilogue was the most enjoyable part for me, I liked it.

[/ QUOTE ]

He did what he did in Goblet of Fire, expelliarmus going head to head with Avada Kedavra.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It would have been silly if a guy who can't even apparate or cast spells non-verbally with any regularity was able to out-duel Voldemort in a traditional duel. He could never know more spells than Voldemort or be faster than Voldemort.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:03 PM

http://diogenes-sinope.blogspot.com/...-spoilers.html

Somewhat amusing parody which covers my main gripes with it, the crappy convenient plot devices etc. That said I did enjoy it a lot in parts, and the battle of Hogwarts in particular should look awesome on screen if done well.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What book did we find out that Lily Potters patronus was a doe though?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was at that moment that we learned Lily's patronus. The previous scenes in the pensieve and James' animagus being a stag leads to the obvious conclusion.

Tonks' patronus being a werewolf also provides supporting evidence.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://diogenes-sinope.blogspot.com/...-spoilers.html

Somewhat amusing parody which covers my main gripes with it, the crappy convenient plot devices etc. That said I did enjoy it a lot in parts, and the battle of Hogwarts in particular should look awesome on screen if done well.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha awesome
Old 07-23-2007, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not quite. Voldemort killed his own soul in Harry, but he could never kill Harry's body unless he himself was dead. His mother's protection is gone and no where in this picture.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

Page 568 (Dumbledore and Harry in "King's Cross)

"He took your blood believing it would strengthen him. He took into his body a tiny part of the enchantment your mother laid upon you when she died for you. His body keeps her sacrifice alive, and while that enchantment survives, so do you and so does Voldemort's one las hope for himself"
Old 07-24-2007, 12:05 AM

Thoughts:
Epilogue: Badly written. Obviously, JK's writing has gotten better in 7 years. Can't she have revised it or something?

Exciting book. Felt like a Zelda game at times, running in and out. Bunch of obvious stuff.

Dumbledore rules. The dumbledore/grindelwald thing, I thought was very smart and pretty brilliant.

Snape rules, but seriously, doesn't he and dumbledore realize he's going to die when Voldemort realizes that he's the holder of the Elder Wand? It's fairly obvious, and he shoulda seen it.

Voldemort's charming and powerful, but he doesn't really feel like a mastermind (or anything). Like traz said, amazingly, amazingly bad play throughout the book.