Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2006, 01:18 AM

Default trip Report: riverwind (OK) Wed. Nite Rebuy tourney

Ok, so this is a thinly veiled brag post, because I did well, but I thought I'd post a trip report in case anyone around here is thinking of playing.

7 p.m. Wednesdays. Signup starts at 5, said 45 max, but they ended up taking 50 and going 10 handed. I got there at 4:45, got on a list, because preference was supposed to be to seated players, but I ended up waiting on the list until just after 5, but signed up. It did fill up, but not until almost 6. I stupidly played 3/6 limit while waiting instead of my usual 1/2 NL, because I didn't bring enough money with me. I suck at limit. I might as well go play blackjack.

All in all, a nicely run tourney. I really liked the floor guy who ran it (can't remember his name). We didn't have a clock/monitor, but he went around announcing time left in round all the time, kept table changes running smothly, and did a nice job.

Anway, structure is $50 + 10 initial buy in. I think it said $5 to the dealers, which ain't bad. No juice (I don't believe, on the rebuys, but I'm not 100% sure of that). You get 1000 chips, 2 rebuys ($40) allowed in first hour anytime below 1000 for 1000 chips and an add on after break for 1000 chips for $40.

Blinds as near as I can remmber were: 25/25, 25/50, 50/100, 150/300, 200/400, 250/500, 300/600/25, 400/800/50, 600/1200/75, 800/1600/100, 1000/2000/100, 1200/2400/100, 1600/3200/200, 2000/4000/200. I may not be right on antes. 20 minute rounds.

Play wasn't as crazy as you would expect in rebuy period. Some decent players.

I did well in first hour. 3 hands in I get a QT off in MP, 1 limper in front, I raise to 125, get two callers, flop a Q, bet pot and everyone folds. at the 25/50 level, I get AA mid-late, a raiser in front to 150, I raise to 325, get 2 callers, then original raiser pushes in for just 350 or so more chips, I reraise all in to isolate. This play just went perfect. I think he had like AJ or something. A few hands later I get AA again early, I make a small raise, like to 125 I think, I get a raise from late, then blind goes all in, I call, so does reraiser. They have TT and KJ (?), and it's all good. Now I'm doing great, don't have to rebuy, end level at almost 4k in chips, addon to 5k and change.

2nd hour pretty card dead. I had TT once and picked up the blinds. Pairs were the order of the day. I didn't get AK once, but pairs all over. I tried to steal blinds a few times and it didn't work. was down to about 3500 at the beginning of 200/400 level. Get 88 late. Small raise in front, I push, get two callers, including original raiser. Figure I'm in trouble, but they have AJ and A9 (?) and I almost triple up.

3rd hour. Getting low on chips.Really card dead and my steal attempts have again backfired. We are close to in the money ( 10 left, 8 pay) and I make a nice steal with utter crap (like 68o or something) with a limper in front and a girl who was just obv. trying to limp in the money on the BB, get a few chips. Make FT, have to bust one more to make money. Suddenly, a dude busts (with a pretty big stack) and I'm in the money, ($60 ahead, since I didn't rebuy). Now I'm really short with like 7500 with 400/800/75 blinds. The big stack has really been pushing around, young guy, and we have another weird big stack who is the most passive big stack I've EVER seen. Just calling, calling, calling. players two on either side are short and tight. passive big stack calls, aggro big stack makes it 3k to go and I'm in BB. I look down at one Q and think "gimee another lady" and there it is. I happily push in, passive guy folds and aggro, as I figured, is pot committed and has to call with A8. I more than double up and am looking good. Later on (when we are at 6), I have a weird hand in the SB, where aggro guy raises and tighty folds what he later says is AK (?) and I have JJ, I push in again, he calls with like KT I think, and I double. Now I'm in good shape.

Later I make a nice play with K8 suited on button while 5 handed. blinds are 1600/3200 and it's raised to 7000 by mr. aggro, who was involved in about 70% of the pots. I call on button and passive guy calls. flop is 23Q with 2 diamonds, aggro guy checks to me and I move all in with like 22k, which is just about pot sized, and they fold. Now I'm in sweet shape with like 40k.

we get down to 4 and then passive guy gets busted by mr. aggro and the stacks are 43k (me), 42k (mr aggro) and 35k (tighty). Mr. Aggro is to my left. 3rd place proposes a chop. Prizes are about $1900, $1150, and $750. We end up doing an even split for $1275 each. The blinds were 2000/4000/200, so it was pretty much a crap shoot. The only way I would get more money was to finish first. Also, I didn't like my position with the super aggressive guy to my left. I guess the 3rd place stack got a little extra equity, and I thought about asking for some extra for me and the other guy, but didn't.

I tipped $50 (as did everyone else) and collected my payday. Oh, and I was the only guy at the final table who didn't rebuy [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

this was my second biggest tourney win ever (I won a few dollars more at a pokerstars $20 once), and I'd been running pretty bad lately, so to say I was pumped was putting it mildly. I got lucky as heck with the cards (no races lost, althogh the only true race I got in was the 88 vs. AJ vs. A9 hand).

Thanks for reading and letting me relive this moment [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] The only bummer of the whole thing was my poker buddy was supposed to play it with me, but his grandfather died and he went out of town. There was quite a crowd around the final table, and it would have been cool if he was there.