Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2006, 01:51 AM

Default WTO Dispute: Measures Affecting the Cross-Border Supply of Gambling an

A search of "Poker Legislation" found no responses for either "WTO" or "Antigua". This surprised me, as I thought that this would be an important issue.

What does http://www.wto.org/english/tratop_e/..._e/ds285_e.htm mean for poker and its legality?
Old 06-19-2006, 02:57 AM

Default Re: WTO Dispute: Measures Affecting the Cross-Border Supply of Gambling an

May I suggest:

http://www.AntiguaWTO.com/

I think you'll find it informative.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:33 AM

Default Re: WTO Dispute: Measures Affecting the Cross-Border Supply of Gamblin

Basically, the US gov't chooses to ignore the WTO on this in much the same way they ignore the UN when it doesn't suit their needs.

The potential for Antigua to stop enforcing US patents and copyrights is intriguing, although like sanctions, it probably won't result in any kind of financial hit that the feds would be worried about.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:18 AM

I didn't realize the patent and copyright enforcement was part of the treaty. They went through all the trouble of getting this in place for some reason that must have been important. Why they let it crumble for anti gambling is beyond my understanding. Obviously they don't have a morality issue, as MANY forms of gambling exist legally. The tax benefit is ignored. I just don't get it.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:53 PM

There are in fact a couple threads from past months discussing this issue in detail, including one with a post by the lawyer handling the issue for Antigua.

The bottom line is that the US is lying by saying it is complying with the ruling, when it has not so complied, particularly with interstate parimutual horse racing and phone based horse bets. Also even if it is ruled in non-compliance and decides to just say FU to the WTO and Antigua, all Antigua can do is be allowed retaliatory trade sanctions, which have no teeth given their size. The bigger issue for the future is if the US tries to cutout middlemen like Neteller that faciliate transactions, because they are based in the UK and on their stock exchange, and the UK would be a much more effective opponent in the WTO.