Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2007, 05:48 PM

Default Re: Baby-killin\' sadist

I appreciate the sincere answer. I sometimes share your "hope" that there is meaning to our difficulties if God exists. Unfortunately, I find it only that.. "Hope"... To me, this is overwhelming evidence that such a hope is not justified. I simply cannot fathom a loving, all-powerful God allowing such suffering to take place not just to good innocent humans, but throughout the animal kingdom as well. Once again, it is proof to me that we are merely the products of a complicated evolutionary process that knows no pity or cares who is unworthy of such injustice.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This statement has nothing to do with whether god actually exists or not. It is a wish for his existence, not an argument for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's an argument for rationality. Without God, no rationality. The statement "God does not exist" has no meaning if God doesn't exist.

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway imagine for a moment you are wrong, and god does not exist. Is your life now a joke?

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally, completely, absolutely, irrevocably.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:52 PM

Default Re: Joke

[ QUOTE ]

There are lots of things to say

[/ QUOTE ]

Gimme one'm.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Once again, it is proof to me that we are merely the products of a complicated evolutionary process that knows no pity or cares who is unworthy of such injustice.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's all we are the very concept of justice is meaningless. That's one of the main ideas that eventually led C.S. Lewis to theism.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Once again, it is proof to me that we are merely the products of a complicated evolutionary process that knows no pity or cares who is unworthy of such injustice.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's all we are the very concept of justice is meaningless. That's one of the main ideas that eventually led C.S. Lewis to theism.

[/ QUOTE ]

its all relative. The idea that you need a God to have a sense of justice AND that this serves to you as proof of a God is a parody of logic.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The idea that you need a God to have a sense of justice

[/ QUOTE ]

Who's talking about a sense of justice?
Old 03-05-2007, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

This statement has nothing to do with whether god actually exists or not. It is a wish for his existence, not an argument for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's an argument for rationality. Without God, no rationality. The statement "God does not exist" has no meaning if God doesn't exist.

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway imagine for a moment you are wrong, and god does not exist. Is your life now a joke?

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally, completely, absolutely, irrevocably.

[/ QUOTE ]

My participation in this forum has been largely to find out how or why people believe in such things as gods. At times, I've tried to guide or point out inconsistencies in theistic thinking, in the form of arguments, etc. Usually, I become frustratingly mad at the responses I get from theists. But reading your answer here, explains it all, is very clear, and does not cause me the least bit of frustration.

Whether there is a god or not, has never really been the point, has it? You simply cannot fathom life without a god to provide meaning. There MUST be a god as far as your concerned, otherwise nothing has meaning!

This completely satisfies my curiosity into theism. There's nothing more that needs to be said. I think it's great you can hold such beliefs and why should I ever try to dissuade you of them by pointing to logic or other hard evidence to the contrary? There is just no way to make any progress, and I'm starting to think I shouldn't even want to.

I've been coming to this conclusion for some time and it's why my interest in the God debates here has waned. It is futile to try and change a believer's mind by pointing to logic. I'm also starting to agree with R. Dawkins... The best hope for future rationality is to prevent the indoctrinization of children. That's where non-believers should concentrate their efforts. Not in people like yourself or txag (and I truly mean no offense by that). Just that it is clear to me that even if you were shown unquestionably that there couldn't be a god, you would never allow yourself to believe it anyhow. Peace be with you.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Whether there is a god or not, has never really been the point, has it?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is for me but not for you. Nothing in your post has the slightest to do with logic. It's all an attempt to assign me a motive as an explanation for why I believe, which has exactly nothing to do with truth. That you pay attention to an imbecile like Dawkins is all the evidence required to logically say your mind is totally closed.

[ QUOTE ]

Just that it is clear to me that even if you were shown unquestionably that there couldn't be a god, you would never allow yourself to believe it anyhow.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've shown several times this assertion to be patently false. If you must convince yourself of this kind of error to function I can understand it.

Someday you may learn what logic really means and will cease branding someone with illogic because you don't understand/don't agree.

Peace be unto you.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:19 PM

NotReady,

Can you give some examples of things that would be sufficient to convince you that there is no God?
Old 03-05-2007, 11:21 PM

"Whether there is a god or not, has never really been the point, has it? You simply cannot fathom life without a god to provide meaning. There MUST be a god as far as your concerned, otherwise nothing has meaning!"

It's the paralyzed stroke victim syndrome I've alluded to before. Especially when the believer insists on the truth of details that are not necessary for their argument.

"This completely satisfies my curiosity into theism. There's nothing more that needs to be said. I think it's great you can hold such beliefs and why should I ever try to dissuade you of them by pointing to logic or other hard evidence to the contrary? There is just no way to make any progress, and I'm starting to think I shouldn't even want to."

You should want to only if the believer will bomb cars with the belief or has a chance to cure cancer without it. Perhaps one percent of Americans.