Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2007, 01:02 AM

Default Re: NL100 Blind on Blind

Barrin,

[ QUOTE ]
Checking behind and then betting the turn will only get hands that beat you to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think some hands I beat will call on the turn if I had bet the flop, but those same hands won't call the turn if I hadn't bet the flop?

Edit: by the way, this was not a rhetorical question. do you feel that the pot being bigger will entice more draws to call?
Old 04-26-2007, 01:04 AM

I'm going to start trying raising to 4 in this spot.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:14 AM

Well ... seriously ... 3 is not a bad number ... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-26-2007, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well ... seriously ... 3 is not a bad number ... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Something tells me we're not talking about poker anymore. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-26-2007, 01:17 AM

LOL [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-26-2007, 01:23 AM

I agree about the pf raise size. 4 would be my standard. I also don't have a big problem with checking the flop and then double-barreling. This is dependent on your style, though. I check a fair amount of flops when I hit and miss, so it doesn't appear to mean much to most attentive villains.

I think the river bet is marginal either way. It certainly isn't that bad, though. Villain probably isn't wondering what you are repping/have. If he called with a draw, he may have like 4 5, or some BS that accidently wins when you check behind. If he was calling down with a PP or a 6, it will be quite difficult for him to call a decent-size riv bet.

It is close, but since you say he calls down loose, and this is BvB -- your line is good.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Barrin,

[ QUOTE ]
Checking behind and then betting the turn will only get hands that beat you to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think some hands I beat will call on the turn if I had bet the flop, but those same hands won't call the turn if I hadn't bet the flop?

Edit: by the way, this was not a rhetorical question. do you feel that the pot being bigger will entice more draws to call?

[/ QUOTE ]

What I said previously was wrong. I read your response for like 5 mins then realizing why your question was so hard to understand. IT WAS because I wrote something that I didn't write out correctly.

But anyways, I was trying to saying that checking behind flop then double barreling turn-river is less believable than double barreling flop-turn.

Sorry I'm really bad at writing out my ideas.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:46 AM

If you think he has a draw just check. I don't think a bet will fold much out here - definitely not a ten, maybe a 6 or a 5 though.

I agree that firing at the flop and turn is better than firing at the turn and river.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think you should bet the river since you bet the turn. He probably would have lead the turn with a ten, so I think he has some kind of weak pair or draw.

I'd bet the flop most of the time but since you didn't, I would follow up and bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

What hands call if I bet the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, we're obviously not hoping for a call. A river bet would be pretty much a total bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? You beat all the draws.

The only reason to bluff is if you are sure he has a pair. Why are you sure?
Old 04-26-2007, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Grunch,
You have to bet flop here. Checking behind and then betting the turn will only get hands that beat you to call.

Betting river after betting the turn is just horriblee. Villian is going to have a hard time believing you that you have a ten here. I would even imagine him calling with a pair of 6's and 5's.

If you are going to double barrel semi-bluff, then do so on flop-turn.

Barrin6

[/ QUOTE ]

You are saying a 6 or a 5, or any better pair EVER folds the flop?

I don't believe you.

Betting this flop is a terrible bluff, because you'll check behind the turn if you get called, and villain will value bet the river AND bet a lot of busted draws, and you can't call.

I could see double-barreling here, I guess. But if you actually want to show down, Grunch's line is far better not because better hands will fold, but because Villain isn't likely to check 2 streets with a better hand.