Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2007, 03:34 PM

Default NL100: AKs preflop

Villain is ~23/12/3 after 1k hands. We've been playing togheter this session on a couple of tables and he's been pretty aggro preflop, 3betting alot and once 4betting with AKs and calling allin (lost to AA).

I have AKs utg+1 and I raise to $4, folded to villain otb who raises to $16. How he's playing atm, being pretty aggro and such, I'd say I'm rarely behind here.

But calling and playing AKs oop in a reraised pot vs an aggro opponent is not something i prefer. If I whiff the flop it's gonna suck.

My play?
Old 03-23-2007, 03:49 PM

Default Re: NL100: AKs preflop

if you really want to then push and dont just call. folding is fine though
Old 03-23-2007, 04:13 PM

Sometimes in this situation, I make it $45 to go and see what the other player does...
Old 03-23-2007, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain is ~23/12/3 after 1k hands. We've been playing togheter this session on a couple of tables and he's been pretty aggro preflop, 3betting alot and once 4betting with AKs and calling allin (lost to AA).

I have AKs utg+1 and I raise to $4, folded to villain otb who raises to $16. How he's playing atm, being pretty aggro and such, I'd say I'm rarely behind here.

But calling and playing AKs oop in a reraised pot vs an aggro opponent is not something i prefer. If I whiff the flop it's gonna suck.

My play?

[/ QUOTE ]

How is the rest of the table playing? Given he has the button he would likely raise an ep limper. I might limp and try to c/r him ai here depending on the rest of the action at the table.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:23 AM

Read again rastlinx.

I should add that he's probably good enough to not call if I push with anything I dominate.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Read again rastlinx.

I should add that he's probably good enough to not call if I push with anything I dominate.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, you misunderstand me... When I asked how the rest of the table was playing it was in consideration of limping with the intention of raising Villian when he likely raised, but this would depend on how the rest of the table was playing.

As played it depends on stack sizes, if he is less than 100bb I think I push.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:18 AM

Puuuuuuuuush! 4bet to 45 is fine too. AK is likely to be way ahead of his range so get it in
Old 03-25-2007, 12:32 PM

I think playing AKs for a limp/reraise preflop might have been a good idea with this guy on the button.

It sounds like he is capable of making folds if he thinks he's beaten post flop. It also sounds like he cb's almost 100% of flops when he has the initiative. So, as played, you could call 12 preflop (pot ~32, eff. stacks ~84), then CRAI on any flop. You probably get called by AA/KK, but you might get QQ-99 and even AQ on a Qxx flop to fold. Basically, you would be planning to run a big bluff to win the preflop money and his cb on the flop. Of course, if he really has AA/KK, then you will feel pretty silly when you get stacked. Also, if he can't fold TT-QQ or TPTK post flop even if you show huge strength, then this will have been a waste.

On the other hand, calling to play fit or fold is bad.

I like fold > push > call to play fit or fold.

I like call/CRAI any flop if you want to pick this moment to play back at him. Just be prepared to get stacked if (1) he really has a hand or hits the flop for a set, or (2) he can't fold an overpair like JJ/QQ or TPTK even if your CRAI screams that he's "beaten."
Old 03-25-2007, 12:38 PM

wowow, I 4bet/shove this all day. 3-betting light IP has very much invaded FR.