Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2006, 05:39 PM

Default Re: Difficult Decisions, Bad Designs (Pooh-Bah?)

[ QUOTE ]
That's why the analogy doesn't work, because when you make your decisions easier you usually

[/ QUOTE ]

I really wasn't trying to make this point at all in my OP.

The point that I was trying to make was that when you make mistakes early in the hand it usually results in difficult & marginal decisions later.

I was not trying to say that all diffficult decisions are a result of an earlier-street error, and I was not trying to say that difficult decisions should even be avoided. At least not for the sake of avoiding difficult decisions.

I guess the true utility behind whaty I was trying to say was in reviewing performance after the fact. When I look through old hands in PT, I might recall some where my postflop decisions seemed needlessly hard. Maybe I was suprised at how hard the choices were, becasue I really didn't think at the time that I didn't have a grasp on the situation.

A lot of the times, the reasons why my choices were unexpectedly hard were becasue of errors I made on an earlier street. And that makes that hand a good candidate for closer scruitiny.

Does that make more sense?
Old 07-07-2006, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My thoughts were all twirly

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing you have a 4 year old at home [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-03-2007, 10:40 PM

Thanks for this post Grunch, I consistently find myself in positions such as you described, and only realize it after I'm done with the hand how much easier it would have (probably) been if I'd made different decisions earlier. While I agree that we should not strive to eliminate all difficult decisions (both impossible and impractical to try and accomplish), making more easy decisions allows for less stress, less tilt, and generally better play IMO.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:59 PM

Sick post grunch. I love analogy posts like this because it makes you look at poker in a different light.