Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2007, 06:36 PM

Default Re: The Better Intelligence-Religion Correlation

No its not "Proven." How the f do you go from "I don't think there's evidence" to "I Have Proved That You Are Wrong". You haven't proven a damn thing.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:42 PM

Atheism and Agnostism are mutually exclusive. Atheism is a belief: a belief that there is no higher power. Agnosticism is a belief: a belief that a person cannot know if there is a higher power or not. You can't both definitively state that x does or does not exist and then say that it is impossible to know whether x exists or not. The two statements are mutually exclusive.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No its not "Proven." How the f do you go from "I don't think there's evidence" to "I Have Proved That You Are Wrong". You haven't proven a damn thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

huh?
Atheism is a state-of-being report, it's not an process statement. Knowing someone is an atheist gives you no information about how they arrived at that state ( the state not believing your god exists). One common route is via agnosticism. There are other routes.

luckyme
Old 11-11-2007, 06:53 PM

you've proven nothing except that you hold the belief that no higher power exists. nobody cares.

now, show your work and tell me how simply asking for proof of statement x disproves statement x.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Atheism and Agnostism are mutually exclusive. Atheism is a belief: a belief that there is no higher power. Agnosticism is a belief: a belief that a person cannot know if there is a higher power or not.

[/ QUOTE ]
They're not mutually exclusive until you start twisting definitions around.

Even as written, they are obviously not mutually exclusive. I can believe there is no higher power and still believe I cannot know or PROVE this.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You see there is the logical part, invisible. And the part not based on reason, faith that it is pink.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh. THAT logic.

I can't prove that it's invisible therefore it's invisible, via logic.
I can't prove that it's pink, therefore it is pink, via faith.

that cleared it up.

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]
Q. How do you know that IPU is invisible.
A. Because we can't see it.
Q. Well then how do you know that it's pink, if you can't see it.
A. We take that on faith.

Reason and Faith are both important to IPU.

[/ QUOTE ]

The IPU's around here only come out when we're not looking. We can't see them, but we only take it on faith that they are also invisible. Since I take their word for their color, I take their word for their visibility. why not?

Similarly, if they claimed to be 50 pound weightless entities, I could take that on faith also, they look honest.

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure they look honest, but more importantly, only a barbarous, shallow materialist would demonstrate the fundamental lack of faith necessary to DISBELIEVE in 50 lb weightless objects.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I may quote
""Invisible Pink Unicorns are beings of great spiritual power. We know this because they are capable of being invisible and pink at the same time. Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them." — Steve Eley Chief Advocate and Spokesguy of IPU"
Old 11-11-2007, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Atheism and Agnostism are mutually exclusive. Atheism is a belief: a belief that there is no higher power. Agnosticism is a belief: a belief that a person cannot know if there is a higher power or not. You can't both definitively state that x does or does not exist and then say that it is impossible to know whether x exists or not. The two statements are mutually exclusive.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sound home schooled so you may not have been exposed to some outside concepts - consider that you were born an atheist ( you didn't believe in Thor, Allah, Yawah, toothfairy ...) and it had nothing to do with you proving they didn't exist. You simply started out not believing and then changed over time as evidence arose .. tooth fairy being your first conversion.
The others lack such evidence so some never take them on.

luckyme
Old 11-11-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Atheism and Agnostism are mutually exclusive. Atheism is a belief: a belief that there is no higher power. Agnosticism is a belief: a belief that a person cannot know if there is a higher power or not.

[/ QUOTE ]
They're not mutually exclusive until you start twisting definitions around.

Even as written, they are obviously not mutually exclusive. I can believe there is no higher power and still believe I cannot know or PROVE this.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you hold that one cannot know whether statement x is true or not, how is it reasonable to then posit as to the validity of statement x?
Old 11-11-2007, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]This is a common confusion. I won't go into details, but you are wrong. You can find the answer on your own with minimal ammount of research into people who call themselves athiest, agnostics, athiest-agnositcs, or theists agnostics.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You sound home schooled so you may not have been exposed to some outside concepts - consider that you were born an atheist ( you didn't believe in Thor, Allah, Yawah, toothfairy ...) and it had nothing to do with you proving they didn't exist. You simply started out not believing and then changed over time as evidence arose .. tooth fairy being your first conversion.
The others lack such evidence so some never take them on.

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for assuming to know stuff about my educational background chief. you've proven that i am homeschooled.