Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 10:54 AM

Default Custom chips art work help

Finaly coughed up the fpp points needed to get the custom chip set from pokerchips.com. I picked my colors looking at some of the previous posts about custom chips, unfortunately though they've discontinued the roman mold so I'll have to settle with the American mold. Comments on the yellow chip is also welcomed (kinda iffy on it myself)
I decided to call my set "Ace Point Club" in honor of the first underground club my friends and I visited. I'm not much of an artist and cant really think of a cool design. I'm working with their artist Sandy, who is very nice and patient I just wish I could give her some ideas. Here is the last art work she sent me

http://www.pokerchips.com/proof/26201.jpg

Any suggestions would be appreicated.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Custom chips art work help

I have the custom set from them as well...I have the blue/red chip and it honestly isn't a great match in practice.

If you don't love the yellow, try maybe the green..that one looks pretty good from experience.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:20 PM

That is almost, if not the exact, color scheme for my set.

Very surprised to hear about the Roman mold I just added some chips on last month and was able to get the Roman mold.

I think a white background for the inlay works better, to tell you the truth.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:32 PM

Here's my comments:

Design
1) Are you talking alternate side labeling? one white, one black on each chip? If so, the white side needs dressed up.. and lose the two dots

Other than that, the general concept design is good

2) Black label- go with a dark gray, rather than black, background in order to see the text more clearly. Also, is there really a need for the $ symbol?

3) Go with a red and black Ace

4) Is that a crown, or flames, on the cards? If flames... they need some work- flames aren't symmetrical. On the white background label, the flames could take up most of the background, if the black text is bolded/two-toned similar to the black label... ?

Colors
a) Why blue $25, rather than green?

b) Chip color combos: Do they still do dayglo colors for the edge spots? The contrast seems kinda dull in the mock-ups.... or do you prefer muted colors?

c) If you keep the blue, pick a different edge spot. The yellow chip has an old-school feel... is that what you want?

d) Yellow edgespots on the red and purple chip... eh, not a fan, even with the shading difference.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:39 PM

I went through this process as well, and FWIW, I think the yellow chips turned out the best. The green is a real nice color too.

In hindsight, I which I'd have done white/red edgespots on the black chip instead of white/yellow, because I'm not thrilled about how the colors look on that one. But the chips are real nice - you'll be happy with the quality.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:43 PM

sigh.... dual edgespots are SO much better than single... sadly, not an option when I got my set.

Interesting that you limited edgespot colors to 4- are all four colors part of the Terps school colors?

Those pictures are the design, not the actual chips, correct?

What made you go with yellow $500s ?
Old 10-25-2007, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sigh.... dual edgespots are SO much better than single... sadly, not an option when I got my set.

Interesting that you limited edgespot colors to 4- are all four colors part of the Terps school colors?

Those pictures are the design, not the actual chips, correct?

What made you go with yellow $500s ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes - red, gold, black, and white are the school colors, which is why I went gold instead of purple for the $500. Those chips rarely get used anyway, because my group generally plays cash games, but it's fun to have around at the end of tournaments. (Note to the OP - that chip is really bright in person.)

And yes, those are the proofs I received, not the actual chips. I keep meaning to take pictures of the chips, but keep forgetting.

I'm getting a new table this week too (bigslikpokertables - they do a great job of going back and forth with you and customizing everything), so maybe that'll inspire me to bring the camera out to show off. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2007, 01:56 PM

Stevie,

I think it was that picture in an old thread that made me decide to get these custom chips in the first place. Very nice chips!
Old 10-25-2007, 02:19 PM

Thanks for the input.

[ QUOTE ]

Here's my comments:

Design
1) Are you talking alternate side labeling? one white, one black on each chip? If so, the white side needs dressed up.. and lose the two dots

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea alternate side, but can you be more specific about the white side.

[ QUOTE ]

Other than that, the general concept design is good

2) Black label- go with a dark gray, rather than black, background in order to see the text more clearly. Also, is there really a need for the $ symbol?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll have a look at the dark gray background. I though $ sign was standard on all chips even tourney chips.

[ QUOTE ]

3) Go with a red and black Ace

[/ QUOTE ]

Will do.

[ QUOTE ]

4) Is that a crown, or flames, on the cards? If flames... they need some work- flames aren't symmetrical. On the white background label, the flames could take up most of the background, if the black text is bolded/two-toned similar to the black label... ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Suppose to be flames, I'll suggest that. I also requested she make the design look like someone is peaking down at their hole cards to find AA. Waiting to see how that looks.

[ QUOTE ]

Colors
a) Why blue $25, rather than green?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wanted something different and really liked the combo that Stevie posted.

[ QUOTE ]

b) Chip color combos: Do they still do dayglo colors for the edge spots? The contrast seems kinda dull in the mock-ups.... or do you prefer muted colors?

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually thought the colors might be a bit too edgy, are you just referring to the 500 and 1000 chip or all colors?

[ QUOTE ]

c) If you keep the blue, pick a different edge spot. The yellow chip has an old-school feel... is that what you want?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really like the blue [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] The yellow chip was recommended by them since I couldn't make up my mind. I didn't think it matched well with the set, but I couldn't come up with anything better myself.

[ QUOTE ]

d) Yellow edge spots on the red and purple chip... eh, not a fan, even with the shading difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah didn't like that either but I was assured that the shade difference would be substantial enough when they produce them. Again if you have any ideas on a better color scheme I'd like to see them.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:20 PM

Very nice. Just pissed about the roman mold being gone.